• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clearfield

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clearfield

With all the nonsence going on everywhere can anyone
    imagine the clearfield trait in lentils becoming a
    marketing issue?

Could be wrong but, are clearfield crops developed using non gmo techniques, which makes them safer?

Comment

Bucket, WTF is safer? It has never been proven that GMO's are unsafe.

There is a perception (I believe misguided) that GMO's are unsafe but it hasnt been proven.

The only thing unsafe about GMO's is our market risk if the public stops buying them, the flax thing is bullshit the same as China's blackroot and the CWB's fusarium program (had to fit them in LOL).

Its all politicing and marketing by the other side to drop import prices and support domestic producers?

Comment

Sorry if that sounded to strong. Its what I think but I am not real articulate yet as I just woke up with a huge minor hockey hangover (7-4 loss) and havent had my coffee yet.

Ron

Comment

No offense taken. I may have used the wrong word. I don't think there is anything wrong with gmo either. If I can ask the question again:

Are clearfield crops developed with different or more traditional techniques?

Are they better or different than gmo crops - I don't know.

I know that with the advancement in farming practices and some of the available crops now that are resistant to certain chemicals it has made rotations more affordable to manage.

Comment

Mutagenesis is perceived by Europeans to be a safe method of plant modification. To me it seems a little bit more barbaric. Lets just bombard some plants with radioactive materials and stuff and see what we get. And they worry about "Frankenfood" sheeesh...

Comment

For what it is worth, here is a quote on what BASF is planning for clearfield technology and the
              differences mutegenisus/transgenics.

<a href="http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2009/February/04020902.asp">clearfield</a>

Note the green peace quote. Plant breeders have raised the same issues that you talk about rbrunel
              but I guess mutagenisus has a lower risk in many peoples minds. The previous 2 paragraphs are
              worth reading as well. Gene mapping/sequencing are a very power tool that opens up many new
              opportunities.

Quote - "Alexander Hissting, agricultural expert for Greenpeace Germany, which is vehemently
              opposed to GM crops, says the organisation is not opposed to plants developed using directed
              mutagenesis, but will not promote it. 'It is not going in the direction we favour for sustainable
              agriculture, [we believe] the future of agriculture is not industrial agriculture, but local, small-scale
              agriculture,' he says."

Comment

Mutagenesis is 50 or 60 year old technology and is widely used within Europe. I do not think this one would ever be an issue, too widespread. Mutagenesis really speads up a natural shift in genetic change that would occur due to random selection, just speeds the process up.

Comment

Europe does use mutagenesis and is being combined with things like hybrid technology (crossing varieties to promote hybrid vigor).

From my contacts, I might disagree as to how agressive this technology is - regardless, some process is changing genes/gene sequences (irradiation, bateria, etc) although within the same plant species. I note they call the process directed mutagenics and given knowledge of genes/sequencing, this may be easier to do with more predictable results.

Comment

More intormation than anyone wants but here is another link.

[URL="http://mvgs.iaea.org/PDF/13-PS2-7-413%20-%20SHU-PRE-PRINT_reviewed_by_author.pdf"]mutegenesis[/URL]

Comment

GM in Europe was a victim of BSE both where happening at the same time.
                      BSE created BIG food saftey fears among the European comsumers and would have been political suicide for governments to approve their use.
                      Media also very negative and still is. No persieved need for GM as plenty of non GM food available.

BSE shows the risk any food or any other product for that matter faces if a heath issue is suspected and the public decide it is a risk they are not willing to take.

It does not need to be logical or even true just be anounced on a bad news day and get the media onside.

Comment

Jesus-our lentils go to europe?
                        Good thing they like clearfield.

I feel much better.

And chinamen eat anything that walks or crawls-but blackleg look out.

What chapter on global economic combat are we on?-

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...