• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax meeting at Crop Production

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax meeting at Crop Production

Was anyone able to make it to the flax meeting on Monday at the Crop Production Show? Were there any fireworks?

I'm interested too. I suspect it is just like municipal politics; little interest, too many conflicts of interest; not worth creating enemies or taking a stance. The majority will let the winners get away with another one.

Comment

2 cargoes flaxseed were loaded in December, one 7,500 tonnes and one 19,000 tonnes, neither ship departed and the whereabouts of both is curently unknown.<p></p>
      <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com/2010/01/was-sask-flax-development-commission.html"](Betcha someone has negotiated a tolerance.)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

Dam pirates found out that flax seed is healthy. lol

Comment

Is anyone talking about getting the genetic event around triffid flax registered in Europe? There is a process to review biotech crops in Europe and once the genetic event is registered, GMO tolerances come into place. Might not solve the human food issue around flax but would deal with the industrial one.

What are current flax prices? $8 to $9/bu? Interestingly enough, I find it interesting how the market changes behavior after an issue like Triffid in flax. Linoil demand is still in Europe. My understanding is China is buying/crushing flax and meeting this European demand.

Comment

<p></p>
            <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com/2010/01/can-proactive-flax-farmers-capitalize.html"](Do farmers realize the flax market is still in operation, but just not on your behalf? Triffid flax continues to sell to China as industrial oil, even as I type, and no gene testing is required to export flax to China, either..READ ON)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

Good ideas.

A good case study for the future and biotech realizing I will get hit for current flax grower.

My lessons.

If you are going down the road of biotech (notice I am keeping broad and not strictly genetic engineering/transgnics to include plant with novel traits and plant breeding technology), then it is important to have these genetic traits evaluated and registered in major importing countries. A part of the cost of the technology.

The need for agreement on process around registering genetic events. The processes around CFIA/Health Canada should be similar to that used by the European Food Agency with processes for cooperating/verifying results. Also needs to be a definition around rules between countries/regions and special requirements in buyer/seller contracts.

A way of identifying genetic events in plants(visual or otherwise) in Canada and a better way of monitoring their presense and movement.

Comment

should be European Food Safety Agency.

Comment

The flax check-off of $1.18 per tonne seed and $.50 per tonne straw is mandatory but refundable. Get your rebate form and send it in if <p></p>
                  <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://www.saskflax.com/checkoff.html"](you want to remind the flax boys they work for you)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

"All flax producers who contribute to the check-off have the right to participate in elections to the board of SFDC, stand for election as a director and bring forward resolutions for other members to consider."

You receive a rebate, you lose your vote (voice)

Comment

For the farmers who don't think their voices are being heard, it's like pressing "resend" to the message, isn't it?

Lost revenue might prompt a good ear cleaning.Pars

Comment

Farmers are particularly antsy about using seed from same old seedgrowers who mucked up the seed in the first place. Comprendre?

Comment

Forsta

But there is not enough certified seed in the system to fill growers needs for the coming year. So I can not see this push to plant only "special seed" flying. For this year at least.

Comment

So, not only their attitude is insufferable, but now you say their plan itself, to supply seedstock lacks substance?

How comforting.

Comment

Your "forsta" gains you admittance to my birthday party coming up, where you are sure to end up under the table, so practice your Skoal.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...