• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest rates

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest rates

Just looked at a yearly statement from one of my farm loans and was surprised pleasantly to see only 3 percent interest rate since april 22/09. She is a floating one. Thought I was at 4 actually. Thinking with the unemployment rates so high in USA Canada that the low interest should trend tend to stay low as we need jobs. Now I hear China thinking to raise rates in their country.

This from Bloomberg.
    The central bank has kept its benchmark one-year lending rate at a five-year low of 5.31 percent after five reductions in the last four months of 2008, and in the first 11 months of 2009 allowed a record 9.21 trillion yuan ($1.4 trillion) of new bank loans.

Lets put this in perspective. 9.21 trillion yuan is 1.35 trillion US dollars as there is 6.82 yuan to the US dollar.

So the Chinese economy is so hot that they think to increase rates in their own country to slow their economy. Meanwhile the Chinese bank roll the US economy for about half that rate. Interesting. But the hardest thing I am finding to wrap my head around is the 1.35 trillion US new loans in China in just one year. Wow. And we think we are going to be OK with our commodities? I feel a blow to our whole north American EGO.
    Now what happens for some unforeseen reason that interest rates rise to 25 percent just because the Chinese economy can handle it? Its like buy out North America time. Even our invincible Canadian banks would not even have a chance with all the fore closers and write downs. Time to eliminate debt.

Good post, Hopperbin.

One of the consequences of our central bank's low interest rate policy is that it is encouraging Canadians to take on what might be unsustainable debt levels.

Interest rates are supposed to keep the supply of savings balanced with consumption. If you set interest rates to artificially low levels, the demand for savings will outstrip the supply. Then you have to have a recession/depression and a period of significantly higher interest rates to re-balance things. I'm not looking forward to that.

Comment

Goodbye pleasantly surprised to hello shock and awe. They want to put me at 3 over a 2 1/4 prime now for floating and charge me a 250 dollar yearly renewal fee, their prime is lowest in the industry at the moment which I would believe they should be the first to raise in the future. That just ain't going to happen. I have another financial institution willing to waive all fees and put me at half over a 3.5 prime on a floating that is not likely to rise in the future. Shop around guys and girls. If we want to rain these banks in we need to keep on top of them. But looks like the 3 percent is gone now. What are FCC rates doing?

Comment

FCC is at 3.25 floating at the moment, they don't use a prime they said so not sure how they judge their floating rate changes. If your higher risk your rate is higher. So the other financial institution better smarten up. The one that has me at 4 percent never gives me a mortgage fee or a renewal fee. Tell them O mortgage fee and O renewal. Although I don't think I can get the 0s from FCC they do have the best rate. Primes are all over the dam place.
        Maybe I should just rent her out and quit bitchen about interest rates.

Comment

For the past 10 years or so I have done very well with Variable rate loans and mortgages. My Lender at RBC quoted me 4.5% for 3 years I'm thinking I might lock in... I'm Nervouse about rates in the next 12 months.

Comment

take care of the downside and the upside will take
            care of itself

Comment

I guess the 3 over prime was due to I didn't give financial info. They put me at 1.55 over a 2.25 prime, so 3.8 floating. Bank of Canada left rates the same so I hear now mid 2010 for the next possible increase. What each different financial institution does with their primes is up to them as they please. I do drool over FCC's rate but there are fees involved.
              That RBC rate of 4.5 for 3 years is lower than what I could find. And if I could find it I would hop on it. What kinds of fees for renewal are they charging? Just interested to know.

Comment

There ussually a $250 set up fee but seems like if you squak enough they sharpen there pencil on that as well.

Along with your finacial statements if you present them with a 12 month cashflow budget. thats good for shaving another .5 to 1% off your rate as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...