• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax - again!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the seed growers and seed companies will want this to be viewed as a flax issue and something easily fixed. farmers should be looking at the bigger picture and demanding other parts of the industry than themselves take responsibility and be accountable. this could be just another step in the bigger interests in crop production getting more control over the whole production process.

Comment

From the flax council of canada, I found a response as to why there is no class action lawsuit.

Quoted from a saved email from Monika Haley, Executive assistant etc.

" The Seed growers who multiplied CDC Triffid in the late 90's did nothing illegal. To this day, it is not illegal to grow Triffid. After it was deregistered in spring of 2001, it has been illegal to sell it for seed for planting. I doubt there is much for a potential class action suit."

regards,

Barry Hall
      Monika Haley
      Executive Assistant
      Flax council of canada
      blah,blah, blah

Read it close and then read it again. That was the response from the flax council.

Any questions as to who is responsible now?

Comment

The absolute very least that should come out of the Triffid fiasco is that the regulators and seed industry should acknowledge that they have recognized their mistakes; and will not repeat them with our wheat seed supplies; or alalfa or whatever comes next. I have yet to hear that any mistakes were made; and the response so far seems to be that there isn't anyone responsible.

What a system. It won't even be a suprise when the next incident is announced. Perhaps its a case of the round up wheat incident not yet having reached the media; because I have heard that at least one elevator company is conducting those very tests on commercial grain.

Comment

If shaney was the spokesperson he thinks he is maybe one of his alter egos could enlighten us about what is going on with RR wheat and the seed growers and who would be responsible for that mess.

If you've learned something from the flax mess - what is your protocol for RR wheat from the seed growers standpoint?

Is it to put the cost on the producers again and then tell us to buy certified seed from the seed growers? When there has been no commercialization of RR wheat pretty hard to put the costs on farmers, again?

RR wheat has been grown in Saskatchewan.Probably is still being grown and contaminating our supply. But I know nothing because the seed growers haven't told us what to know yet!

Comment

So Shaney, protecting the seed progatators butts (his kind of people) thinks that farm show spoonful bags of Triffid were a likely cause of the peasants' present problems.

Analyze it. What would be gained by tossing a couple dozen Triffid seeds into an airseeder tank of farm saved flax? I'm frugal, but even I'm not that cheap.

It would take a breeder (Shaney's type of person) to plot plant a few farm show seeds for several years to accumulate enough to sow significant acres to use its GMO trait. I'm patient, but even I'm not that dedicated, and would realize that if I truly needed the trait I'd buy it from my friendly registered seed grower who had it in bulk.

No, that farm show little bag of triffid, if I'd ever seen one, would have been opened, and chewed up on the spot. I love flax. Of course I'd be sporting a third eye by now. Glad I missed that farm show!!!

Comment

Checking

This kind of makes you wonder what kind of intelligence it takes to be on a board doesn't it?

Further, this shaney fellow reminds me of vader, make statements like he knows more than the rest of us, then never tells anyone the details.

To even make a statement about spoonful seed size bags and its impact on seed is moronic at best. He should be talking about the fact that triffid seed has shown up in the ukraine and russia and how it got there. Maybe a little more insight as to this audit trail that charliep defended would be helpful as well.

I have no use for people that tell me I must use certified seed, but can't admit they are part of the problem and not the solution.

Comment

Perhaps my point is that seed growers produce certified product with requirements around varietal purity, weed seed count, etc. That is is for all crops - not just flax. What makes this different is that it is genetic event (not able to see) and extremely tight tolerances - likely tighter that anything you would even find on certified seed for other issues (could be wrong).

It is also your buyer that is requesting this. Grain companies would likely deal with the marketing risk (having a cargo rejected at port in Europe) this product with seed from a limited number of seed growers than a large of growers using seed from many different sources. If you assume 1.2 to 1.5 mln acres of flax next year and an average farm acreage of 300 acres, you have potentially 4,000 to 5,000 seed sources.

Perhaps the solution to the above is an declaration at delivery similar to what happens today for wheat (varietal declaration) indicating you have tested your seed and it does not have triffid in it. An alternative.

Comment

And perhaps my point is that some shit head took
                  money out of my pocket,charlie.

Get on the right side of the trade before you are
                  crucified.

GOT MILK/IT?

Comment

Charliep just said "What makes this different is that it is genetic event (not able to see) and extremely tight tolerances - likely tighter that anything you would even find on certified seed for other issues (could be wrong). " and he also said
                    "Perhaps the solution to the above is an declaration at delivery similar to what happens today for wheat (varietal declaration) indicating you have tested your seed and it does not have triffid in it."

No charlie, no, no, no, no, a thousand no's; what part of no don't you understand is wrong about that suggestion charliep. Triifid isn't the last of the genetic events. Of that I am certain. There had better not be a roundup ready wheat incident yet; we haven't even started growing it yet as commercial farmers (have we?). Just insert wheat in place of Triffid in your possible alternative; and we have a fix for any roundup ready wheat problem. Why should commercial farmers sign contracts and affidavits making themselves financially responsible for any possible genetic events. Of course it will quickly show up in millions of tonnes of export wheat in small; but large enough quantities that you and others will then insist that the solution in certified seed each and every year.

I've made several posts lately; using language and examples that anyone capable of reading should be able to follow. Did I not make it clear enough that given a sensitive enough test you will find a little bit of everything in anything; and once found in the general environment it is virtually impossible to totally clean it up. Tell me I am wrong charliep.
                    Well the genie isn't yet out of the bag (as far as I know) for roundup wheat (or the many other crops). If it is then the stupid stupid stupid responsible people will do it again and again until there are GMO traits in at least small concentrations in every crop known to man.
                    The solution is to not repeat mistakes when you know what the outcome is going to be. As regulators and seed growers, if for instance you allow roundup wheat to be grown by commercial farmers then you are deliberately repeating the Triffid mistake. That isn't acceptable because they have already proven they have no intention of being financially responsible for damages caused by the release; they have a plan to make ordinary farmers paying for testing and certifation of its genetic purity no matter how that may be compromised..
                    Its a fact that there is no way to stop anyone from doing whatever they wish in this world. For most incidents that society has decided are not in the best interests of the population as a whole there are various consequences and punishments.
                    Obviously for the crime of genetically polluting the seed supplies of the world there are not serious enough consequences; or as it looks to me; anyone (except commercial farmers); or any researcher; or company or seed grower can spread it with impunity.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...