• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax again & again

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax again & again

Charliep just said "What makes this different is that it is genetic event (not able to see) and extremely tight tolerances - likely tighter that anything you would even find on certified seed for other issues (could be wrong). " and he also said
    "Perhaps the solution to the above is an declaration at delivery similar to what happens today for wheat (varietal declaration) indicating you have tested your seed and it does not have triffid in it."

No charlie, no, no, no, no, a thousand no's; what part of no don't you understand is wrong about that suggestion charliep. Triifid isn't the last of the genetic events. Of that I am certain. There had better not be a roundup ready wheat incident yet; we haven't even started growing it yet as commercial farmers (have we?). Just insert wheat in place of Triffid in your possible alternative; and we have a fix for any roundup ready wheat problem. Why should commercial farmers sign contracts and affidavits making themselves financially responsible for any possible genetic events. Of course it will quickly show up in millions of tonnes of export wheat in small; but large enough quantities that you and others will then insist that the solution in certified seed each and every year.

I've made several posts lately; using language and examples that anyone capable of reading should be able to follow. Did I not make it clear enough that given a sensitive enough test you will find a little bit of everything in anything; and once found in the general environment it is virtually impossible to totally clean it up. Tell me I am wrong charliep.
    Well the genie isn't yet out of the bag (as far as I know) for roundup wheat (or the many other crops). If it is then the stupid stupid stupid responsible people will do it again and again until there are GMO traits in at least small concentrations in every crop known to man.
    The solution is to not repeat mistakes when you know what the outcome is going to be. As regulators and seed growers, if for instance you allow roundup wheat to be grown by commercial farmers then you are deliberately repeating the Triffid mistake. That isn't acceptable because they have already proven they have no intention of being financially responsible for damages caused by the release; they have a plan to make ordinary farmers paying for testing and certifation of its genetic purity no matter how that may be compromised..
    Its a fact that there is no way to stop anyone from doing whatever they wish in this world. For most incidents that society has decided are not in the best interests of the population as a whole there are various consequences and punishments.
    Obviously for the crime of genetically polluting the seed supplies of the world there are not serious enough consequences; or as it looks to me; anyone (except commercial farmers); or any researcher; or company or seed grower can spread it with impunity

Farmers should be contacting their risk management lawyers on the matter of assuming liability by acquising to being responsible for testing and guaranteeing levels of purity. Strike that thought. None of us have such a lawyer; but the guys we deal with certainly do.

Comment

Can anyone on here that has had their flax check positive for triffid trace seed back to certain seed grower?

Or is there anyone that has been tested positive on bin checks?

Comment

This is about a few people exploiting a situation so
        that we lose control of our seed supply.

And maybe,just maybe those people caused the
        situation to happen on purpose.

Comment

If I where a seed grower with a bin of flax, even one that has passed all tests. I'd be as scared as h*ll that I wouldn't be able to find a farmer stupid enough to buy the stuff.

Who would be crazy enough to want to grow flax next year. The liability risk alone makes me shiver, let alone the lack of market. I think acreage of this crop in western Canada is going down faster than the Hindenburg.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I'm in agreement with you. This industry at the priviledge, elite, non-listening level has pooch kicked itself. Acres will crash and burn in 2010.

Comment

Coleville
              So what else is new. As a seedgrower I always have bins of seed cleaned up and ready for my customers. Why would I be "scared as hell"?
              I'm proud of what I do. I supply quality pedigree seed to my customers. I didn't put the goddam Triffid gene in the system. Seed growers have been crucified on this site without any proof or facts as to how the gene got out.
              Seed growing is not a closed shop. If its so goddam easy and lucrative why don't you do it? That goes for all the know it all's on this site.
              It's 11:00 pm and I,m still out in my seed plant. I'll be here till about midnight and I,ll be out here at 7:00 tomorrow morning. I,d like to be in bed cuddled up to the wife but I have a job to do.

Comment

BF you took that the wrong way.

I'm not accusing seed growers I'm sympathizing with them. You guys are as much victims of this fiasco as everyone else in the industry.

Keep that plant going!...maybe just leave the Flax cleaning until the end this year, is all I'm saying.

Comment

Sorry Coleville
                  I guess I was a little testy last night.
                  I need thicker skin!

Comment

Effectively giving the seed supply market solely to the registered seed growers is a concern that is a big loss to farming practice options for commercial grain farmers. Mandatory certified seed planting for evermore is a big gain for registered and certified seed growers.
                    I have yet to hear from any seed grower or their associations that they recognize and agree with that analysis.
                    Until the seed industry can bring themselves to acknowledge this point; you are missing the conflict of interest(or at least a possible perceived conflict of interest) you have in promoting this new change in farming practice.
                    Evidently the Triffid issue is not your financial problem. It is the financial problem of farmers such as myself. As susch I should have much influence on the decision; and the seed industy should have little input. I am not and have not given you any authority to speak on my behalf. There have been alternatives suggested and not any response from the industry as to why it would not be equally as effective.
                    Apparrently the seed industry has no idea as to how this disaster developed. Well apparently only a few dozen growers had acces to Triffid. Don't go blaming packets of 15 seeds unless you know some pertinent facts that could explain how it could have exploded to the contamination levels apparently detected. The seed industry failed commercial farmers on the Triffid contamination. You have taken absolutely no responsibility; and are only feigning hurt and anger.

There are thousands of farmers who are and will really be hurt; and none of them will be from the seed industry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...