• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop, blackberry or new iphone tablet?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop, blackberry or new iphone tablet?

Now the autosteer is down to a science this technophobic fool thinks some onboard internet may be in order. Seemingly half blind, I find the screen on a blackberry a bit small. The new iphones? Who knows? A laptop is a bit cumbersome but easy to see. Is there any make or model that will survive a bit of abuse in the field better than the next? ie: Dust or jarring about. Hope to use it the same as a home computer (email, banking, stocks, market reports, Agriville).It would be nice to have the phone capability all in one but not necessary. Any thoughts?

don't have one, but these look good
    http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/fully-rugged-laptop-toughbook-30.asp

Comment

A moving office cab. Should be room for expansion, like a back bunk. A two mile stretch north to south between headlands. Canola seeding at the recommended rate of four miles/hr. Thirty minutes to the next turn, works for me!!!

Comment

Nothin better than autosteer,be carefull taking a leak
        out the tractor while its going.Nobody wants to be the
        first to die this way.

Iphones dont work in saskatchewan yet i dont think.

Comment

smartphones are good but you need a good data plan and the screens are small. The iphone is here through rogers or telus but rogers has crappy services in rural areas. Telus runs off the same towers as sasktel. A lap top is good but spend the axtra cash and get a toughbook but again you need the internet stick. gain Rogers sucks i was with them for years. Bell has a stick but not sure if telus or sasktell does. It just depends on how bad you want internet. My sugestions is call Rogers , telus, bell or mts or saktel. Rogers is the only one using the GSM network all the others use the same. Ask them what they have and make sure you can try thr phone or stick before you have to commit. With rogers if you go 20 miles north of saskatoon you got no service. Also there are many handhelds like the old ipaq trimble makes some maybe a stick will work in those. Try this or something like it. personally id go toughbook

http://www.trimble.com/mgis_yuma_rugged_tablet.shtml

Comment

get a netbook, it's a small laptop, usually with built in wireless.

Has way more computing power than a iphone, blackberry.

Comment

Re autosteer, also remember not to fall asleep while using it.

A neighbor did this while swathing and went through the windshield when the swather hit the ditch. Luckily it stalled, but he still needed around 200 stitches.

Comment

Actually I find I'm less likely to fall asleep using the autosteer. Much more rested at the end of the day in either the sprayer or the drill. But you guys know that, don't need us late bloomers telling you. Sent the 17 year old on the warpath for the mobile device. Sure he'll come up with some genius ideas before long. Of course, he's not afraid to spend someone else's money either. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...