• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

combine to customer program

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

combine to customer program

Has any one went on the combine to customer
    program?

I have in 2001 I think, it was a while ago. What do you want to know?

Comment

I am going next week just wondering what to expect.

Comment

I would say good old brainwashing.

Don't expect answers about a shitty job they are doing.

The tours through the cigi bakery is good. The brewery wasn't working yet when I was there.

Comment

I have been to other CIGI programs and they have been good. I have heard the Combine to Customer is a pretty good program and I will be attending as well this coming week. If nothing else its a networking oportunity.

Comment

Jagfarms,

The number one issue is that the CWB IS NOT a commercial company that is responsible to the farmer.

The recent Supreme Court decision... plus the Court representations that the CWB 'has no duty of care' to grain farmers they say they are here to serve... cannot be reconciled.

The very fact that the CWB refuses to accept all the grain offered to it by 'designated area' growers on the A series contracts... should set off alarm bells everywhere.

Instead the system as set up and operating is here to cater to the customer/consumer... not extract the best premium prices for 'designated area' growers.

If the CWB folks have not figured this out... it is time you told them again... I sure told them in no uncertain terms in the early 1990's. And that was before I was a denier of the monopoly benefits.

The culture is so left wing... the denial of reality so strong... a balanced discussion is virtually impossible.

The CWB is a tool that 'could' work to achieve 'premium' prices for 'designated area' grain growers... however the present methods the CWB uses through the pool system also make this virtually impossible with those lefties now at the helm.

We have some ships in our navy... the CGC and CWB are very important boats. They are the heavy lifters (on regulation)... but the fleet of boats they protect... are not owned or operated by 'designated area' grain growers!

Do you think you can change this Jag?

Be like the Jag... in the US... do investigative work... and lets make a cultural shift at 423 main!

But that would take all the 'fun' out of it for them... it might be too much like work to be responsible for actions and require integrity in decisions required!

Please watch for... and report back... how many times the CWB monopoly is mentioned... and how they portray it (in what light).

Comment

i would like to know who pays for this thing. cigi courses are not cheap. i have heard that farmers are subsidized to attend but what about advisors like mbratrud? anyone willing to share? i have never been invited myself.

www.farmlinksolutions.ca

Comment

Brenda, The program is supported by the CWB, and for farmers primarily. Yes I am an advisor, but I also operate my own farm. So I represent my farm and my clients. I would argue they get the most bang for their buck by sending someone like me. When it comes to grain marketing I am like a 100000-acre farmer. I'm sure Farmlink staff with farms would be eligible as well. Have Twila call her local CWB rep; there is another session around the 20th with vacancies I believe.
                I know they use part of the session as a focus group, and they are generally looking for "good communicators" Not protesters. Having said that anyone who knows me well knows that I believe there needs to be some major reform to the CWB, so I look at these events as opportunities to express my ideas in a professional way on how the board can do a better job for farmers.

Comment

It is my understanding that the uncashed cheques fund which is quite sizable, pays for the program. It is not only by invitation as any farmer can be suggested for the course but as Mark pointed out they are looking for for constructive conversations.
                  I think it is justified that Mark attends that course as a farmer. For one thing he is one of the few advisers that is successfuly farming and has not gone broke doing it.

Comment

I'd agree, any farmer who has'nt gone on this should call their local rep and ask about it. It may seem like beating your head against the wall but making valid comments and be able to argue your points in a level headed way is worthwhile. I got more satisfaction in the discussion there than the local CWB meetings that can be a waste of time.

Comment

I attended C to C last year and was impressed with the program. I learned lots about the grain industry and met some great farmers, but be prepared for a certain amount of propaganda! The socializing was definitely a highlight.

Comment

How can you expect to affect change by attending this program? are any decision makers there to listen to you? board members, executives?

I have been invited in the past, but have been so frustrated with board performance I couldn't bring myself to go. I agree the major focus of the program is to brainwash farmers and tell us how difficult and complicated their job is to make us believe we need them.

Comment

Railway,
                          As a farm manager I learned alot about CIGI and other non wheat board things that made my time there worthwhile.

Comment

jamesb

Are you a farm manager as an employee or as an owner? What did you learn specifically about non board issues?

Comment

Bucket,

I learnt how the CGC system works, what is involved in grading and appeals, quality control work, how the grain trade makes money... and how to reduce risk in the trade.

This 'window' on the world of our 'partners' helps me better understand the risks and benefits handlers can share with our family and farm... and what is 'reasonable' to expect them to offer.

Knowing the business is much better that guessing and being wrong... calling wolf does not work... calling the bluff usually works better!

Then it is very good to know when folks are actually bluffing!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...