• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lentil acreage?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lentil acreage?

Is anyone else concerned about the latest acres? It will be high no matter what. Are we looking at $.12/lb uncontracted lentils if that crop goes in and comes off? I am still amazed that reds held their price this long after the acreage and yeilds in '09. The yeilds surpassed logic after a cool summer and drought in 'lentil' country, and yet prices held up fairly well. Can it happen again? Is demand there?

That is the billion dollar question we are all asking. We need a crystal ball to find the answer. Lots of risk taking on norhtern farms in going to occcur this year. Heard of one guy that has never grown lentils before intending to seed 6000 acres.

Comment

lakenheath, I too have heard and know of first time growers contracting and planning to grow 1000 or more acres.

Comment

From 0 to a thousand for me,half contracted,have
        growen in the past.

Its going to be a cluster fk of acres much much larger
        than ANY analyst-i'm lookin at you Larry..lol.

Comment

I think the crystal ball is fairly clear - look in the past ie. - '09 durum? What are seed labs not testing for grem - barley. But then again $.20/lb Lentil is double the return of $2.50 barley still as of today.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...