• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum and Canary seed acres

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum and Canary seed acres

How many Durum acres are going to replaced with Canary seed acres or spring wheat or other acres?

I have been hearing lots of farmers saying they are going to seed Durum in 2010 and counting on other farmers not growing it.

Will the Canary acres be up or down?

What are the seed labs testing mostly? Lots of lentils more reds than greens I have heard.

I think the way Greg Kostal and many others are pushing CPS/Soft/Ethanol/Feed wheats some Durum acres will go into those.
    If even 1/2 of the guys that are talking about Canary actually seed some acreage will be HUGE!!!
    If Kindersley/Rosetown areas stay dry ??????
    With normal yields in the range of 7 to 20 BPA I feel Canary is a crop you grow a bit and hold for big prices, not one seeded to replace normal cereal acres .
    Prices are already to the point of it not being worth the hassle growing.
    As discussed on other forums Canary HAS to be fertilized much the same as Canola to get yields. Add in the almost mandatory Aphid spraying and growing need for fungicide applications and I figure I need 25-30 cents/# to make it worth it.

Comment

If you fertilize canary like you do canola it would not set seed.

Comment

canary at 20c makes money. holding canary for 30c is a great idea but to hit those numbers you acrop failure for sure in wc sk.

Comment

I agree with dave on the fert, would be all straw with little seed.
          Seen an interesting arctical on cloride and seed set with canary this winter.

Comment

Most durum acres will be switched to hard wheat and barley and a few specialty crops here in the irrigation area of S AB. Production should drop significantly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...