• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on ESN

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on ESN

Thinking maybe put some (30 lbs)of ESN add to the rest of blend of fert for canola but not all maybe half of field for testing plot to see any difference. That way, if screw rainy would leach lose of the 46 N and with 30 lb ESN may less leach or none at all. Some area around here start thinking put up some ESN on canola. May put up some on hayland this year. With so many foggy this year, wetty this year??.. Any difference result with add ESN and without ESN on canola and hayland.

I'll tell you about my experience with ESN. One of my clients (not from my recommendations) had applied 100 lb N as 50% urea and 50% ESN urea a few years ago late in the fall on winter wheat. The field is nortoriously known for being very wet in the spring, or any time really, so that's whey they applied the N in the fall. In the spring and even early summer I was still finding the granules that appeared to be intact. I'm not very aware of the product so maybe that's what it's suppose to do. But the winter wheat only yielded 70 and looked yellow. Now 70 might be good for some areas, but knowing the land, the grower, 70 was poor. They've gotten 70 on spring wheat quite often. But I'm sure there are some positive stories about ESN or it wouldnt' be still on the market.

Comment

N losses on very wet land is usually from denitrification and not leaching unless very sandy soils. anaerobic conditions cause the microbes to strip an oxygen molecule from the NO3 to create NO2 which is a gas. so the rate at which urea coverts to NH3 would affect the N losses but dependent upon the timing of the anaerobic conditions.

Comment

Really ESN granule still intact. I have seen dealer and it is clear gel bubble in water sample as compare to other dry sample which is color blue. These clear bubble gel ESN, I think may stay in root zone that I have some sandy field otherwise may leaching. Also may use on hayland. Last year was urea on hayland but it gassing out. I think it is depend on soil condition. Doesn't Agrium still making 34-0-0 and ship to Vancouver and some tonne are missing before Vancouver Olympic game. Why can't I buy 34-0-0 instead of ESN. Thanks for inf, I gotta to try ESN this year.

Comment

I am almost positive Agrium quit making 34-0-0 for sale many years ago. After the Oklahoma bombing, dealers had to start keeping track of customers and tonnages. Eventually, the potential liability if a terrorist attack with AN forced the decision to get right out of it.

Comment

Give Dr. Ross McKenzie, (403)381-5842 a call.

www.topcropmanager.com/content/view/1466/38/

www.topcropmanager.com/content/view/1374/

Search in google with the phrase:
            Ross mckenzie alberta ag esn fertilizer

Comment

Your root zone is from ground level to as much as 36 inches below unless you have compaction issues. ESN is expensive and i have heard good and bad about it. Myself i would never reccomended it. If you get poor conditions it may not work as good as they say and then it's money out of your pocket. In my opinion you never need 90 lbs put down at seeding it's to much. With proper microbial action and foliar application less can be used with a greater benifit. ESN does not solve any unlinning soil issues you may have.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...