• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum Price in ND

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum Price in ND

The price of Durum is $4.05 bu in the pit at Fortuna,
    ND. It would be 340 miles from our farm to Fortuna.
    It would cost about $1.20 bushel to truck it there
    netting $2.85 bu.

I hear there is lots of Durum getting sold for ethanol
    production. Not sure if this is true.

http://www.newcentag.com/

Lots of durum going to feedlots here in S Alberta. It is disappearing.

Comment

Ok jag but Fortuna is just 100 miles south of us so that would be $3.70 US or $3.77 Canadian and I could sell it all not having 3 to 4 bags on ground all year. It was also way higher in fall at harvest time. OH our lovely CWB>

Comment

Guys,Why would you want to haul it to the USA??????? Shouldn`t/Isn`t/Couldn`t the price be higher right here???????? Or at least the same as it is for canola????

Comment

I hear there is lots of Durum getting sold for
          ethanol
          production right hear in Canada not in the USA.
          Not sure what the price would be for Durum sold
          into the ethanol market or even if this is true?

In my first post I was pointing out the Durum price
          in ND is worse than it is in Canada from our
          location. Most farms in Canada are located a lot
          farther than we are from the US Border. You can
          not haul with super B into most of the US States and
          your freight is even higher.

The Durum price was pretty good at harvest in ND
          but it is easy to say that with hind site now.

Comment

Every area has its advantages and disadvantages. Some are made by nature with depth of rich soils, and a slim to no lack of moisture. Some are man made with abundant surrounding terminals, feedlots, crushing facilities, and ethanol plants. You may have them all close by where you farm, Jag.

Then there is the border which may be the only natural advantage for some farmers. Your post is, the border doesn't work for you for durum. Yeah, well your advantages, if you have them, don't work for me either, but that border would, if only.

Of course, I'm greedy, and your advantages just make you lucky, if you're of the CWB mindset.

Comment

Cropduster is right.

Without the board getting in the way you wouldn't have to haul anything to the States the price would come to you. And on average it would be higher than what the boards been getting.

BTW-It's not the distance to North Dakota that matters it's your distance to port. If someone is looking to move durum off the west coast Alberta is a heck of a lot closer than North Dakota. Why is it that Boardies think the US is only end user of durum in the world anyways?

Should also note that the price of milling durum in Bottineau right now is $4.10 USD per bushel.

Spring wheats $5.40-$5.50 USD

Comment

Thanks Franny.I`ve sold canola to a Sea-can in Edmonton.That`s probably my shortest,most efficent distance/method to overseas user.Durum growers,if given a chance might use that too.Not an ultimate end but certainly a niche.Now for the poor guy that`s got that bulldog rear on his horizon.........................too bad he couldn`t truck it to overseas destination,then we`d really be makin` coin!!

Comment

Cropduster... it is called an 'iceroad'!

Lets just rig up a balloon... then you can pull it duster! Then we could call it a 'superbee' blowin in the wind <(>:{ grin!

Comment

OK but the guy in ND is NETTING $4.05 today. He could have (and many did) sell this crop a year ago or more for $8 . He is not storing 1 or 2 crops unless by choice. I just got back from Minot and from talking to a grain broker and a few farmers down there most guys are hauling 100% of this years crop when THEY want/need to and most are getting near double what the F'N CWB is paying. Guys I talked to are thinking Durum acres will be up again in the northern states. That means western Canada could see near $3 durum next year AND a 40% call to kick you in the nuts on top of that!!!!!!unless we drop acres by 70%.

2 field bosses at Colonies I know of have been selling #2 and 3 durum to Ethanol and feedlots for way more than the CWB pro, picked up in yard, cash in 7-10 days no dockage on feed.
                    They contracted feed wheat as a hedge when it looked like we were gonna freeze out. That price is beating the #1 PRO!!!!
                    I quit growing wheat almost 5 years ago, have only grown barley 3 times. I want to make the decision that feeds my family and pays my bills NOT some 9-4 UNION POS that gets stress pay when he/she loses 287 MILLION because they GUESSED wrong a few times.
                    Let me choose who to, when and for how much I sell my grain, as I think I know what I have to do to make a profit or just survive better than some people 500 miles away!!!!

Comment

You got it T4!!Like your graphics!!!

Comment

Has any one heard what price are they paying for
                        Durum at the Ethanol plants?

I hear that there is some #1 and #2 durum going
                        there as well.

90% Farmers around our area that I have been
                        talking to lately say they are not cutting back on
                        Durum acres and some are increasing durum acres.

Durum does yield better here than HRSW by about
                        20%. If we can grow a 65 bushel barley crop we can
                        grow a 45bu durum crop.

Comment

They may buy durrum now but next fall/winter good luck, AC Andrew acres are going up big time and will dominate the ethonal trade. what good will 20-30 bus of durum do for cash flow sitting in the bin?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...