• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCVT trials cancelled

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't it seem odd that no official announcement came from the people that actually run the trial?

Comment

Have a look for yourself: http://www.canolacouncil.org/pcvt.aspx

What is PCVT, taken right from ACPC's website:

The Prairie Canola Variety Trials (PCVT) are conducted by the Canola Council of Canada (CCC) as a service to you, the grower. Entry by companies into PCVT is voluntary. The PCVT primarily features commercially available varieties, though some may not be widely available at time of printing.

The PCVT is all about comparing genetics under standard plots, a standardized protocol, and the same environmental conditions. The 2009 trials were conducted by seed companies, government researchers, and independent contractors in three growing season zones across the prairies – short, mid, and long season.

Two replicated tests were conducted at each trial site grouping varieties with similar days to maturity to ensure valid statistical comparisons.

Test plots were kept weed-free using conventional herbicides. Herbicide-tolerant varieties were not sprayed with their companion herbicides.

Note the last paragraph. Is it really still 1997? When is the last time any of you sprayed with a group 1, Muster, and Lontrel?

Comment

On April 11, on the organic thread I posted: "farmers have been cut off the testing projects,is this true for some of you AVers?,"

So, how come some of the Canola association executive/directors haven't addressed the test withdrawal openly and clearly? Calling a spade a spade? Isn't that the reason for their being?

Or is hinting and secrecy and "I've got a secret and I'm not telling, la la la la la la" the way the association operates?

Comment

i am not on any associations. my comment was simply an observation due to the strangeness of the whole situation.

Comment

wd,

I had originally addressed it as thus: "for some of you AVers?", and repeated the phrase once more on this string, NOT specifically at you.

Some canola elected reps prob will be reading AV and should be working for FARMERS, informing you...the average everday farmer, and keeping you in the current loop.

The gossip mill told me the Canola Association moved a motion frowning down the testing decision, first time ever. Is this true? What did the motion state?

So, I wondered why it wasn't transparent and posted? I thought it wasn't fair I should know while big acre canola growers are treated like mushrooms.

Yes, yes, I know, communication with ordinary farmers like me has been classified as a "non-essential activity".

Yes, well. Pars

Comment

True. My thoughts:

If you are only interested in strictly yield in terms of small plot brute **** fight of gentics only, buy bayer genetics.

If you hate spraying blue smurf piss on only a sunny day and praying it works, find a roundup ready variety that you can spray at cotyledon and 4 leaf and again if you have to without breaking the bank and control some of those miserable weeds at the same time especially for direct seeders. Consider pea barley and wheat yields along with that canola yield in subsequent years. There are lots of varieties within one or two bushels per acre.

Companies want to sell their own stuff and sell to their strengths using marketing not be lumped in together looking at only yield. Wow, like this marketing is unique to canola seed? Everything is sold this way.

Net margin is more important then actual yield and good marketing like premiums play a role in that. And you wonder why Dow hasn't been on the PCVT much? Not the best yielder, but it may be the best netter.

The companies are going to do their own trials regardless. Demonstration plots. Advancing new varieties. Go look at some company plots in your area. Be there for harvest day. Ask some questions.

Thank goodness we have lots of varieties with lots of HT options to choose from. It breeds innovations and new technologies and the farmer again can benefit.

Can PCVT be better? Yes. Does it need to be? Maybe it doesn't need to be at all. I know i don't use the info. But this sort of media release does make good television.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...