• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new hot crop is...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new hot crop is...

Red Lentils? In Foam Lake? Russel Manitoba?

I see johnstons in Welwyn traded like 600 acres new crop reds in russel, and 500 new crop reds in Foam lake. These areas are like somebody from the great sandhills or consul growing canola, or like a guy in la ronge pricing some new crop cps wheat.

Im a bit surprised...

freewheat,

You shouldn't be.

Red Lentil are like yellow peas were.

Easier to get better grades. New desease resistance bred in; clearfeild tolerant. Not GM. Fixes N.

Comment

Free wheat were south of Foam Lake and use to grow 1000 acres or more years ago. But here is the problem if the rain season does come look out you have problems and lots. But with all crops in tank and Canola pushed to max rotation their is going to be huge acreage this spring. So get 10 for half and sell rest for pennies. Oh well good luck guys.

Comment

Guess we can just seed it all to durum. Guess that will work.

Comment

HFL no problem with seeding lentils its just from what I am seeing in East sask Lentil acreage will be huge. HUGE HUGE.

Comment

I'm just thinking about the general tough and damp conditions that usually occur in the fall. I've been under the impression that lentils need a drought stress to finish them. Yellow peas not so much. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't lentils indeterminate in growth? Maybe its just my immediate area. I can only remember combining something in August 2 times in my 18 years of farming. 2001, and 2003. Then comes the usual september rains.

I wish them luck, and hope it goes well. I'm always open to new things if they aren't too crazy. There is one guy, I think Bert Vandenburg who thinks we should be able to grow them here, but he doesn't really live here either.

What will unpriced lentil values be I wonder?

Comment

My view is that it is a relatively small acreage
              crop,which could go way higher than anybody thinks.

Comment

The people from Foam Lake have grown red lentils for years now. Yields are all over the map but I guess its worth the risk.

Comment

Which direction from Foam Lake?

Comment

North along highway 310 and west toward Leslie. Fairly flat land, close to Fishing Lake.

Comment

Gee, I'm only 10 miles north of Fishing Lake. I'll have to pay attention.

Comment

Do you know Sheldon and Tyler? Farm with their dad, yellow combines.

Comment

Not a clue. Don't know many guys down there, cuz we do most business in Wadena/Kelvington, and that 310 is a disaster. Also I'm a fairly young guy, and lost my dad young so that has an impact on how much contact and how well you know people in the country. Dad knew everyone!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...