• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Sask Its not dry!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Sask Its not dry!

Out yesterday harrowing oats stubble from last fall. Stay away from sloughs. WARNING WARNING. Truck stuck driving to tractor. HM maybe will wait till weekend or monday.

I used to have a truck like that once too.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM

Comment

Could be wetter by Monday.

Comment

Fighting fire by the reserve all afternoon. Magically started. HM just love spring. Maybe a lightning strike.

Comment

Found just a few damp spots. Harrowed almost corner to corner.

Comment

Do you guys find that harrowing in the spring before seeding packs the land quite hard? I have to harrow 700 acres of some land we are renting. The farmer had a heavy crop and no chopper on his combine, so there is no way we can get through the straw rows. I have absolutely no experience with harrowing. We rented a 70 foot Rite Way heavy harrow.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. We farm in Southwest Saskatchewan in the brown soil zone with moderate clay content soil.

Comment

I agree heavy harrow packs. The worst experience for me is when it rains, like today, it is wetter than ever. Best to harrow when straw is dry and not too deep to move wet soil. If seeding after, best to harrow closer to seeding just in case it rains. We always get rain! I mainly harrow to level out last fall's fertilizer application and spread straw bunches. Spring harrowing usually breaks up the rotten straw better than after harvest.

Comment

You will require:
                  a)5 hp/ft of heavy harrow, or drag.
                  b)a hot, low humidity day.
                  c)a dry surface, and straw.
                  d)speed, the more the better. Hopefully you have extra horse power to get beyond 10 miles/hour without sacrificing down pressure.

What's your seeding instrument that you would worry about packing?

Comment

We will be seeding with a Morris Contour drill after the harrow. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...