• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI Durum politics

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI Durum politics

yesterday, MGE hard red spring wheat was up over 12 cents because the USA loan rates were anounced in North Dakota, spring wheat was increased $0.50/bus, at the same time durum was increased $1.50/bus., bring durum loan rate to $6.00.

Spring wheat was up because it was seen that spring wheat would loose acres to durum, all because of the loan rate.

So theres a "heads up" for all you smart farmers thinking no one is going to be growing Durum.

Comment

Boarder could you explain how the US loan rate works?

Comment

"loose acres", is that American lingo, or a wind problem?

Comment

The CWB is saving the international durum sales for the US.

We are expected to store our durum... For nothing because we are 'designated area' growers from the backwaters of stupidity (Western Canada). Why would anyone treat us growers fairly... what would motivate them?

Triffid screws us up... hardly a peep... what fine compliant citizens we are... we must be getting 'gold stars' for our hospitable nature!

Comment

The US loan rate is effectively a guaranteed price with quirks. Difference between the marketing loan and posted county price is paid to the farmer as a subsidy. Similar to the SPE, the calculation are done at certain time of the year and would equal the difference between the loan rate (county specifice) and the posted price for that region (assumed positive - loan rate more that posted rate) times an assumed yield. Real price is whatever the farmer sells for. Over simplified but hopefully helps. Below is USDA information.

[URL="http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/Wheat/policy.htm#marketingalaldp"]USDA programs[/URL]

<a href="http://origin.www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_Notice/lp_2148.pdf">durum loan rate</a>

Always reminded of the story of the bear and the two hikers. The US would appear to be putting on their running shoes. Canada would appear to be retaining our steel toed 400 pound hiking boots. The bear looks hungary.

Comment

I guess checking stands for "grade school teacher", frick man I've made few spelling errors here, GO CHECK !

"loose arces" is lingo for, "the weather is great for April, and I'm in a fricking hurry" !

Comment

You are actually correct on the name reason, boarderbloke.

I know all about the April hurry. I just finished my tax papers, and the losers took the rest of my loose change! I'm not complaining.

Which side of the border are you on? I wouldn't want to poke an American in the eye? I realize it's a different spelling, but hey, just checking.

Comment

Interesting to look at US durum numbers.

Annual US durum domestic consumption is about 80 to 90 mln bu (2.5 MMT).

Annual production bounces around but in the 80 to 100 mln bu. range (2.5 MMT).

Durum exports and imports somewhat similar at close to 40 mln bu depending on year/quality of their crop.

Likely trying to hold durum production up in the US/continue to buy from Canada on an as needed basis. Buy high quality Canada/export 3 HAD.

Comment

Charlie, let's keep the Board out of this for the
                    moment, but I have a couple of questions regarding
                    the impact of the loan rate on durum. Having
                    experienced the impact of the Export Enhancement
                    Program from the 80's (buy one, get two free), as
                    well as the ridiculous EEC export subsidies, one
                    conclusion is obvious from this latest move that the
                    US Govt is telling American farmers to go grow
                    durum, we've got your profitability covered. So,
                    what price range will US grain companies and the
                    USDOC be able to peddle this year's crop at and
                    whereabouts would the global market settle at,
                    because this is obviously a win-win for both US
                    producers and global importers? Secondly,
                    regardless of marketing model used (Board vs
                    open) what price range would Canadian durum
                    have to settle at to compete? I agree with your
                    observation that US 3AD will go export and US
                    domestics will buy Canadian 1AD, likely at a
                    discounted price that they will have created.
                    Rockpile

Comment

Not sure how to answer your questions. Given the late announcement,
                      a newsletter I have access to indicates only a 10 to 30 % increase in
                      acres. Can easily rob from spring wheat acres highlighting agronomy
                      issues as well.

Don't expect this increase in US acres to have an impact on
                      international prices - will potentially impact Canadian exports but that
                      impact is as much reliant on quality and yield as a decision on acres.

Would more movement of Canadian durum impact international prices
                      - could be but at least farmers would have product moving and be able
                      to make their own judgement on store versus sell. Could be wrong but
                      I suspect farmers individual decisions about movement/pricing may not
                      be that much different than the collective decision by the CWB.

Comment

From the March seeding intentions report.

Durum planted area for 2010 is estimated at 2.22 million acres, down 13 percent from the previous year.

The below link provides durum acres over the past 5 years.

[URL="http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/Wheat/YBtable01.asp"]US durum acres[/URL]

Comment

Thanks, Charlie, good info. Can the market handle the
                          anticipated increase in Canola acres and doesn't palm
                          oil factor in anymore? Someone mentioned that rye
                          was worthless, but it was fetching 5 to 5.50 last fall in
                          this area. This spring is setting up like the perfect
                          storm for just about every commodity. I'd really watch
                          the input side and not get carried away on a spending
                          spree. Also, I predict five to six weeks of cool and wet
                          weather hampering seeding.
                          Rockpile

Comment

Canola is obviously impacted by world vegetable oil fundamentals.

Vegetable oils are being driven by increasing consumption (both
                            human and biofuels). Canola is able to participate in this as well as
                            appealing to North America and world demand for healthy oils
                            (lower trans fats and saturated fats). There will not be an issue in
                            selling all the canola Canada produces.

Having 60 to 70 percent market share in a crop like durum doesn't
                            mean anyone including the CWB can manipulate prices. USDA is
                            changing programs to move what amounts to a small percentage
                            of spring wheat acres to durum in the Dakotas - impact is to force
                            Canada to look for off markets. Canada is a residual supplier to
                            North Africa to fill in the gap after their using their domestic
                            production.

Comment

As a point of reference, the posted county price in Ward county (Minot) is $3.37/bu. New Crop loan is $6.08. Don't know what the PCP will be at new crop but if the $3.37 were to hold the durum farmer is looking at a $2.51/bu cheque in hand. Last year the USDA spent $106 million on durum LDP's at an average of $1.20/bushel. You can bet US farmers will be hitting any bid they can at harvest, pocket the LDP and move durum to market and keep farm space for other crops.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...