• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seeding canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeding canola

We missed the snow and am thinking on starting to seed roundup ready canola tomorrow. Weather this weekend sounds wet and want to get a start on seeding. Is it too early? Out picking rocks and lots of stuff started to grow. Perfect seeding conditions right now. Afraid we may get too wet.

You might get lucky. If if freezes in the middle of May, your gonna be reseeding. Depends on your area.

Comment

everyone will tell what was right on Sept. 1..

Comment

It froze on the 5th, 6th,8th of june last year so even later may seeded canola froze last year. The earler may canola did much better than the mid may seeding. There is no right or wrong, we have been froze out with late April seeding before but also been burnt up with late may seeding.
        Leaves are out one month ahead of last year though. I know, not much help, eh!!

Comment

Flip a coin heads you go planting, tails planting is a go. Or in my case start when ready, crap I hate it when my neighbor works till 2 am the first planting day in front my house and I am not ready.

Comment

I have one of those neighbors too Hopper. He just loves seeding right beside me when we haven't started. Double seeds and fertilizes too on the first couple passes. It's like when we golf together, gotta get under the other guy's skin a little, makes the game more fun.

Comment

I would put down invigor instead of the rr. Much better tolerance
              to the frost...

Comment

Around here, farmers plant brown bag Clearfield canola early. If it makes it, they are away, if it freezes they re-plant bought seed, and collect the money for re-seeding from crop insurance, it helps bring down the cost of replanting. The neighbors that usually start early usually bought something new. They casually work beside by the road so people can see it, ooops I mean make sure there are not bugs in the purchase. Then, it goes back in the yard for 2 weeks untill its really time to work. I find it kind of odd, like a 10 year old trying to show everyone his new bike! Then again,its a free country they can do as they will. I tell myself that I am simply jealous (like a ten year old with an old bike) and need to stop looking over the fence!

Comment

Canola is in the ground. Best seeding conditions in years. Might just get too wet soon though.

Comment

Givin the conditions showing up, you made the right call newguy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...