• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If seeding were done today?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If seeding were done today?

If you were done seeding today because it was to wet, what impact would it have on your farm? What Percentage complete would you be?

My answers

90%

No Winter Vacation, Less Fun and Weiner water soup.

Comment

u guys can afford weiners down south?

Yippers!!!!!!!!!! Pars

Comment

We are 95% done...the other 5% gets seeded every few yrs because it marginal at best...so we count that as a "Bonus" if it gets a crop...So No impact for the farm...Started the first pass on RR canola today...Then it rained....still raining...

Comment

I'd be 0 per cent done. The impact? Seeing this is the third time in 5 years, it may well be the end for me unless there is some form of bailout. I hate bailouts for the record. Agristability also may help me ot for once. But if we just get the 50 an acre, I am for sure done farming. The area MAY be 10 per cent done. There have been three days here that a guy could have seeded, and for those who use anhydrous, it has been even less.

Comment

Done, finished last Thursday night (27th). Got 1.6" rain/snow over the weekend. Have lots of low spots that we seeded that are now saturated. Bought some big moon tires and rims for the back of the coupe, hope they give me more flotation. This area (south Flagstaff county, east central AB.) is about 95% done. Hard to find a field not seeded, lots are up, some peas sprayed. Feel for you guys that can't roll.
            Rosco

Comment

37% 2500ac done 4000ac to go with no hope of another acre on a large family farm, refinance again with lots of summerfallow and winter wheat. Have to lean on my wage earning wife to buy everything we need once again. Hard on everone in this opperation since it has been really sucessfull in the normal years. It is impossible to plan for a disaster like this, I dont think anyone ever plans not to seed less than 75% of their crop. I think our RM will have to declare us a disaster area to hopefully triger some assistance at least to help cover some of the cost of maintaining all this land. If no help comes there will be allot of auctions in east central sask.

Comment

Bread winner you hit the nail on the head. Successful farm screwed up by weather. Sorry the damn weather gets us every time. In 2002 got farm to verge of No opp and most land at that time paid for. Debt level low. Then all hell broke loose. Credit dried up. Refinanced and went at it then in 2004 the shit hit the fan again. We had caught up with some very good deals in 2003 but then it froze again in 2004. That time the companies knew how to screw us and boy did they. So here we are getting to that unbelievable time in ones farm carrier and guess what mother nature will screw us again. Problem in this country the Govt design programs that are all talk (BS) lots of inputting but no cash to producers administration takes most. We mu-dded in to get to 98% going most of last night but is it worth it plants in water dont survive (note to experts they die or come back and produce a sick few pod plant Take your bumper and shove it). But today had 1/2 inch by dinner and by looks of radar right now its red so were getting it again. Good luck guys were going to need it. Around Regina guys are trying to float on everything. It looks like its flood irrigated from road.

Comment

You are right ...the longer we farm...the more money we owe..When I was 40, I thought we would be debt free by 55..Instead we owe twice as much? What's wrong with this picture??

Comment

Come on guys treat your seed with the latest and greatest treatment, buy the newest best fungicide for your canola ronalin and rovral are no good you need proline it'll give you 2bu per acre more. Spend the extra money and make more money and you might even get a sign on your field or a "free" round of golf.

Oh, wait..... that only works if you have a crop!!!

random rant end.

Comment

To reply to the actual question. We finished seeding third week of May I guess we were really lucky with the weather. But all our low spots are full of water now if it makes anyone feel any better.

All and all, if we don't get any more rain and some nice weather so we can get the crop sprayed things will be ok even at average crop and these prices we will make enough money to make it worth our time and effort.

Comment

100% done with excellent moisture, germination and potential for a bumper crop. Even crops nicely sprayed, sitting back having a beer watching it rain as the plants smile.

Comment

Tried yesterday, did 35 acres in about 14 hours. First changed tips
                          on 5710 to 3/4" But couldn't pull it up or on side hills as water
                          is coming out of ground on the slopes. Pulled out the old 8810.
                          (dealer wouldn't give my very much, so didn't trade) That worked better,
                          but still soup on the side hills and spinning out. We are at 35% done
                          with no canola. A larger neighbor stopped as we where changing units.
                          He said he was also about 1/3 done. Looking around I think that is
                          average for this area in the heavy clay.

It is now raining and looking for another inch.

We had a good two years and didn't invest in new paint, but
                          still may be a bad winter. The biggest hit will be all the
                          seed and order fertilizer than will have to be stored and
                          paid. Last time I think my flooded payment worked out to about
                          $5/ flooded acre.

Comment

How many acres are flooded on average.

Comment

In our area the percentage was close to finish. Unfortunately heavy rains have done in a lot of crops with major damage. Yet none as bad as canola. It has been pounded to heck. Anything not up is toast in our area. Very hard and thick crust. With most plants not making it through. Not enough to make a crop. In our case if the weather smartens up we would be reseeding about 80% of our canola acres. With a lot more farmers in the same situation. Weather does not look good for the weekend. So here we are June the 4th - last year we had frost around the 6th right? Will be interesting to see if the canola crop is adjusted in the next report. Yield and acres.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...