• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waters positive effects.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our no till fields are for sure wetter, and have a ton more moisture under the surface, if water is a problem we can v'ditch, ditch in fall, heavy harrow. I would never move away from my one pass seeding because I remember the last 30 years, rain makes grain, except this year, we are most certainly too wet. I am most worried about the peas, I know peas love moisture, I also know they do not like water logged soil. Maybe I should also worry about the neighbors planting by airplane now but I have enough worries of my own. Like which lake to go to next.

Comment

fjlip, there is definatley benefits to subsurfacing and I have seen alot of work done showing huge benefits from that practice, mostly were solonetzic soil are present. Agroplow is a non inversion ripper that seems to do a great job. Using a presure device to determince the hardpan depth and thickness helps to make sure you're not spending anymore money on diesel then you have to. However when you till your fraced soil, you breakup the surface structure of the soil resulting in finer soil structuer that once again fills in the cracks from your subsoil tillage with clay. That means tillage begets more tillage. Obviously you know your soil better than I do but I'm willing to put money on it that if you cut out the surface tillage your need for deep ripping will be reduced to a 5-7 year rotation and your water infiltration will improve.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...