• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

million dollar rain

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

million dollar rain

A rain like this on a normal year is called a million dollar rain. This year it will cost a lot of people a million dollars.

For farmers it is going to wipe out a lot of crop and has the potential to hinder weed contol if it continues into spraying time.

But there is lots of other industries that are suffering too. Parks and rec, tourism, constuction, road repair and building, the oil industry drilling and hauling, trucking industry. We are in a weather situation that could hurt the over all economy real bad.

I guess on the good side, my hill tops will out yeild low spots this year and umbrella sales are up.

Comment

I really hate to say this but part of me is just loving what is going on right now.There are alot of reality checks going on right now right from the farmers that paid stupid amounts for rent to the traders that make a bumper crop before it is even seeded.This is going to show alot of town/city people and people working farther up the ladder in the ag industry just how important the primary producer and his production really is.

Comment

Million dollar rain?

Lets try billion dollar and counting.

And thats not on the positive side of the ledger right now.

Peas are up a bit. Flax is up. And canola will lose some to profit taking by those that think rain makes grain.

In a normal year this rain would soak in - no time flat. Now its just making sloughs that take time to dry out.

No more nice square 160 acre fields.

Comment

We have been spoiled the last few years with lack of snow and april rains that cause lots of sloughs in spring. Forgot where some of those sloughs used to be but remembered real fast when tires started spinning.
          Used to get stuck and always had another tractor around to pull you out but now it takes another 4x4 and there isn't a neighbour for miles and would hate to ask to have him unhitch to pull you, so you just stay farther away and make sloughs bigger than what we used to. A 16ft discer with 16 bus of seed on doesn't sink like a 40ft airseeder with 200 bus.

Comment

Try 75' air drill/ banders, 550 bu. tank plus anhydrous double bullits.

Comment

Over 2 inches since last night and still raining here.
              Just seen some ducks swimming in my lentil crop.

We have had close to 10 inches of rain here since
              April first i the Palliser's Triangle, a semi-arid
              steppe region in the Prairie Provinces of Western
              Canada that was determined to be unsuitable for
              agriculture because of its unfavourable climate and
              soil. The triangular-shaped area is located mostly
              in southern Alberta and Saskatchewan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palliser's_Triangle

Comment

Still unfavorable to Ag, just a different reason.

Comment

"However, farming has always been precarious, and to this day the area's farmers often need large government subsidies to deal with drought conditions."
                  That's WHO is getting all the handouts! And at the other end the NE needs large subsidies due to frost and floods! Like you say "still unfavorable for AG in most areas of Sk!" With all these extremes, the fact farmers make a living here is pretty damn amazing! Give yourselves a pat on the back. Hang in there.

Comment

A neighbor clued me into the fact that north of us
                    they had parked their 9600 combines in the junk piles
                    a long time ago while we where just climbing into
                    them......

What combine do you drive?

Comment

Now there is the difference between the brain size of modern man, and his forehead sloped tree cousin!!!!

Keep combining the hills, cp.

Comment

Lol I always wondered what happened to that nerd in high school the other nerds refused to hang out with

Comment

A 14 year old paid for 9600. Most in the area are newer than that.

Comment

In the 80's we were dry for many years in a row. Rented a farm north of Yorkton and still farmed south of Regina,. People up their told us in the south all the land should never have been farmland in the first place. Got an acreage payment because of dry and prices .That year everyone got the payment even north of Yorkton . Between weather paterns and farming practices things have sure changed.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...