• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans Canada washout

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans Canada washout

This is getting totally absurd, even in the "dry" SW. I think everyone is on the same page now. Governments should have their eyes open. Manitoba is under water, 5-7". 2010 could be a write off. 1 in 100 year Monsoon? Volcano? WTF?

No doubt, Kindersly to Medicine hat looks like a wash out today.

Comment

anyone? how far north of the TransCanada did the heavy rain fall? Fox Valley? Leader? Kindersley? any amounts?

Comment

Leroy Humboldt 1.75 inches. Of course culverts at max capacity and water backed up all over the dam place.

Comment

We had 5 inches at Leader, Prelate area. It was around the 4 to five inches from Leader to Maple Creek area. I think there was bit less north of the river.
          About 15 to 20 percent of the seeded acres on our farm are underwater.
          We have a big flat that makes up most of the water.

We will have a giant skating rink this winter.
          Got some pics but not sure how to post them here with my Blackberry.

Comment

thanks for answering back Jag, I'm sure like most of us, your big flats, puts out the heaviest yield, a real shame to loose those spots. Are there concerns about soil erosion or wash outs in that area?

Comment

It is not to bad for wash outs or soil erosion as the rain did not come down that fast. It was a light steady rain that lasted over 48 hours for 5 inches of rain. We have had over 12 inches since April 1st. With this last rain once we got 3 inches it was so saturated it had no place to go and you could see flats and sloughs filling up. There is water where I have never seen water before.

There is some wash outs but not like there would be if it was a hard downpour.

With our farm it is not to bad as we seed something different in our flats that is not seeded on high land. We had our maple peas and canary seed in our flats and it was not seeded anywhere else. We may be able to collect crop insurance. The flats are about 90 percent flooded but the 10 percent that is not flooded might just yield enough that we won't get any crop insurance.

Comment

Irvine AB...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZRpYbGzuGU

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...