• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to CWB premium Service to growers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to CWB premium Service to growers?

Charlie,

We tend to focus on the consumer of our wheat... and CWB service they require.

I note the drastic change in CWB selling rules growers arbitrarily have been downloaded with!

1. We had the right to switch crop years... without restriction in early 2000's.

2. We had the right to switch classes of wheat... if they were based off the same futures.

3. We had the right to sell wheat in the bin... deliver into the next crop year and get that price we locked in 6 months earlier in the previous crop year capturing some market carry.

THE CWB has chipped away at our marketing 'Rights' and we don't even wimper.

WHY! The costs are massive... and I do not see the PRO rising! Where is the value to 'designated area' wheat growers? GDC contacts that I can NOT get. Lottery programs for delivery systems.

WHY do we put up with this? How can a sane humman being call this fair and equitable?

THIS is PROGRESS?

Now Tom, surely by now you know that to those that subscribe to the belief that the collective is better than the individual, this has been progress.

They have been able to remove the ability of those who care to think for themselves, plan ahead, and try and earn more for their farm so that you get the same as them.

Even if it is less for them also.

Comment

What is even worse is that those that hardly grow any board grains anymore still support the cwb at any cost simply so they don't have to think about how to better market it.

Comment

Tom, you said

"We had the right to switch crop years... without restriction in early 2000's."

Was it a right or a priveledge.

And Silverback, you said

"remove the ability ........to ..... earn more"

Earn??

How did the "priveledge" of switching crop years "earn" you more money?

Lets take a hypothetical situation where grain prices were rising over two consecutive crop years.

Let us say that prices rose continuously in the first year from $200.00 to $250 per tonne and in the second year from $250 to $300. So the PRO for the first year was $225 and for the second year was $275 per tonne.

Let us say that you moved 1000 tonnes from one crop year to the next. You would have "earned" $50,000. So where did the $50,000 come from? Obviously the marketing of the wheat was done in a fashion that was completely separate from your decision to switch crop years.

Let us look at the impact of your stock switching in year one. The grain you switched at the end of the crop year was selling at the highest price of the year, that being $250 per tonne. So by removing grain sales at the end of the crop year you removed some of the highest price sales for the year and lowered the PRO for everyone who remained part of the pool for that year.

Similarly in the second crop year, you added sales at the beginning of the crop year which were among the lowest for the year, thereby lowering the PRO for everyone in the pool for that year.

So where did you earn your $50,000? You stole it from all the other farmers who were not "smart" enough to employ this marketing "priveledge".

Was it your right or your priveledge to steal from your neighbors?

You can still speculate on the upcoming crop year, but now you have to pay for it.

Comment

BenA,

It is in the CWB Act that we have the right to switch crop years.

The first 50 years the CWB existed... were very different than what YOU expect today.

It was one of the few RIGHTS we had... to determine value.

To say YOU lost or gained... from the decision of when my farm needs to sell our grain... explains why we have a problem.

YOu seem to think our families grain is YOUR grain.

We switched crop years for decades without your blinder NFU view of extracting a premium from my farm.

Telling story... isn't it!

Comment

What unbelievable communist rhetoric!

Stealing? Really? Wow!

If we get hailed out and didn't put on insurance this year, can I come to your house and share your grain harvest?

It would sure be great if one day everyone would stand up and say that today I will make sure I am doing what I need to do to survive and not depend on some government agency to do it for me (or force my neighbors to share their success).

It is also unbelievable in the year 2010 that we have people who think it is ok to have their own sweat and blood sold for them by someone else and they won't see the full value of it for a year and a half!!!! Maybe !

Comment

I don't want my neighbors to be forced to share their profits, or to be forced to share the fruits of their family's labor, or or to be forced to share their industry, with me.

Force.

And no one, and I mean no one, can truly justify putting any of their neighbors in jail, using force, for the reason being to extract a portion of profit. Say,$200.00

Stalin-style envious eyes in favor of jailing neighbors to pad their bankbooks, will also be willing to practice the same doctrine that Stalin chose.... that being, after the jails are filled, they will justify the remaining dissenters simply disappearing in the night, and all for the sum of another $200.00.

What kind of neighbor are you? Pars

Comment

Communism in the USSR died but CWB supporters are trying their best to keep it alive in Canada. Let's call it what it really is...the "collective good of all"....Karl Marx is smiling down on all you folks right now!

Comment

benA, Read this to your family so they get a better sense of how envying a neighbor endsup manifesting itself in a police state.:

The following raid on the Derochers farm took place in April, 1996, and describes an incident a Western family in Manitoba endured, when they began protesting the Canadian Wheat Board, a Canadian state arm of force.

In the farm community, you either believe farmers should not be jailed for selling what they grow, or else you believe farmers should be jailed for selling what they grow. One or the other. It's clear cut.

The more force the Canadian Wheat Board and their officials and their Ministers muster, trying to squash Western farmers, the more farmers resent them, turn away from them, switch from being supporters to being open antagonists.

Young farmers today have grown to despise the CWB.

Two decades ago, farmers were generally compliant with institutional authority, trusted in government, and "went along" with farm policy. No longer. Too much water has gone under the bridge.

On April 10, 1996, Canada Customs burst into Norman and Edith Desrochers' Manitoba farm home at twenty minutes after five in the morning. There were seventeen Canada Customs agents assigned to the raid, all of them dressed in flourescent green vests with printing on the back, as well as two police cars, and two Dept. of Transport half-ton trucks sitting on the side of the road, waiting. All five children were home in bed.

Customs tapped on the door, and then burst in, unannounced, not waiting for anyone to respond. They slapped a summons on the family's kitchen table, at the same time as two tow trucks were busy hooking up to the Derochers' farm trucks, to haul both to the Customs' compound in Emerson. The children were terrified, and their mother Edith who was very ill at the time, was traumatized by the invasion.

The RCMP called to Norman to try and get him into their police car, but instead, Norman outran them to grab the keys to one of his trucks. He knew he needed it to make a living.

Customs quickly pulled out of the Desrochers' yard with one tandem truck loaded with over $2,000 worth of seed barley. and transported it to Emerson Customs compound. Later in the year, Norman paid a $2400.00 fine to get his truck out of Customs. As well, the damage from the water in the engine while it sat parked in the compound at Emerson, cost him another $10,000 in repairs. He's still got the bills to prove it. The grain from the truck somehow disappeared, but officials wouldn't tell him whether they had sold it or dumped it. He was never compensated for the loss of his grain.

Leaving Norman few options, he took Customs to court, but the full force of Customs Canada battled him in a courtroom in Dauphin, Manitoba, sheltered far away from the CWB/Goodale controversy, and Customs won.

Customs put his eldest son, Clayton in jail, and as a condition to get him out, Norman was forced to surrender the other truck to Emerson Customs. It remains there to this day, and the $40,000 fine still remains in effect in order to remove it, a reminder of the the legacy left by the glory days of Ralph Goodale's state-run terrorism that his CWB Ministry created and enforced using Canada Custom agents, so that it would appear as if the CWB was innocent of vindictiveness and virginal in malicious actions.

The raid at Derochers was meant to make a spectacle out of the Norman Derochers family, make an example out of him, and thus intimidate all "border runners" from protesting against the Canadian Wheat Board's monopolist reign; the Liberal Government of the day seeking to squash those farmers defying the state's regulatory-expropriation of their wheat and barley.

It is a day that Western farmers must never forget.

Viewing the raid a decade later through a less angry-eye, reflects that history has instead, made a spectacle out of the Canadian Wheat Board.

History shows that the bullying tactics of the 1996's CWB Minister, Ralph Goodale, ultimately only served to strengthen the argument circulating and working against the CWB monopoly, as proven by the increased numbers today, of farmers who avoid the monopoly by growing other crops, and also by the now-majority polls showing farmers have adopted and embraced a marketing choice vision.

The Desrochers and many other farmers who trucked grain across the border during the '90's, learned that any Government minister or member of Parliament who defends jailing farmers for growing garlic or turkeys, or lentils or lamb or even broccoli, for selling these things that they grow, doesn't deserve respect or votes in the farm community.

Jailing farmers is not a Canadian value.

Comment

Holly crap hyde wants out bad.A rainy saturday
                    afternoon and im not responsible for what happens
                    later today.

Why not average yields across the prairies?

And costs?

Why not voluntary with people who understand
                    markets,not **** head farmers who read about
                    options the night before?

Average my ****in hail premiums with the land a
                    few miles away?

You stupid ****in cwb pricks should live and die by
                    the sword just like us,level the damn playing field.

I sold a few commodtie related things resently and
                    i would like to send each of you a check...you
                    deserve it...and when you produce and sell sell
                    something you can send me one great eh?

Comment

Would I be wrong to conclude the previous post exhibits a trace of the 30-yr-old-plus pessimism regarding Wheat Board marketing that I was referring to my post? I would expect the Derochers reaction to CWB marketing to not be quite so timid. Pars

Comment

We've taken containers out of japan,so i know i can
                        drop one into japan,not exactly early 1900's marketing
                        problems.

Somebody doesnt pay for one container....oh my good
                        gosh.... a couple percent right off for the income tax
                        man.

Comment

Looks like you guys had a good one going.
                          Much livelier than the beef threads I normally frequent. Interesting story Pars. How can anyone believe that handing their blood, sweat, and tears earned crop over to government minions to market is a good idea? Oh well, its one of the reasons that all tillable acres around here are growing grass or hay. HT

Comment

Thanks, ht. I am so incredibly sad when I relay what western farmers endure. And farmers remain premiere wealth creators. Remarkable group of people. Not one of them would be burning police cars in Toronto.

More forage here as well, in fact the whole area grows a lot of forage. Buckwheat planting still a happening, too. Glad you showed up for a virtual coffee. Pars

Comment

Pars love the way you distort things to make them sound good. The FARMERS FOR JUST ME are still and allways will be a small minority.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...