• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does it cost you to sustain your farm for a year?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what does it cost you to sustain your farm for a year?

What does it cost on average to sustain a farm for a year. It will vary some but the more you talk to farmers those numbers are not terribly different usually, some exceptions. Many farms will have no income off of their land simply because not seeded or seeded and crop lost so what is it going to take through insurance etc. to keep farmers afloat? Include all expenses and maybe since every other occupation does it include what it costs for a 4 person family to live for a year. And actually it's 18 months or so before income may be generated off the land, another crop has to be seeded and harvested.

More than the unseeded benefit. By a long shot. I'll crunch the numbers when I have a moment. For the seventieth time.

Comment

I know Freewheat I am doing this because the propagandists paid off nerds are trying to make it sound like 50 bucks an acre is going to be a windfall. We are not farming in 1920 prices and costs. The guys with the 200 margin will be getting more than their costs actually will contribute to their extended holiday fund but our ag minister says that's working for farmers oh yeah it is a great big taxpayer subsidy for those that need it least and those with multi year disasters are given the finger. Well we'll see what happens if nothing substantial comes from this meeting shit is gonna hit the fan big time.
      We'll see if the flying around in the airplane and saying that farmers need more thing was just another photo op lie or not, reminided me of that old show Fantasy island with the little fat guy "De plain De plain boss" . Oh yeah they better not think that increasing coverage by 25% like that idiot hursh suggests is gonna be the answer.

Both these governments shouldn't have lied prior to the elections and told us they were going to scrap the crap cais and then not only left it but made things worse, increased premiums almost double, deadlines and penalties nobody knows what the hell is going on there. Did moving cais to Melville improve anyone's margin NO but it'll sure help people get elected there won't it.
      Go to straight program of buying the insurance you want forget averages and all that costly meaningless bullshit.

Comment

Good thread idea, but here is where I'm going to disappoint you.

You might be surprised how little it costs to idle, as in chemfallow, paid for land, with the ownership of your own sprayer. Four applications @ .75 litres, fuel, and a few dollars of municipal taxes. Barely to the $25/acre. And you want how much?

Oh, right! I forgot about the necessity of a parking lot full of 2011, 3/4 tons that need to be paid for that are lined up at the coffee shops. (lol)

Comment

Checking;

I do not own a plane or a high clearance sprayer. A plane is all that will work here for now. 6 buck an acre. times 3.= 18

.75 roundup is low when you have blooming volunteer RR canola, throw in some 24D and your up to 8 bucks first app, and then 4 for the next two. That is 16.

Blowing beaver dams that never existed, fixing erosion, fixing ruts, fixing busted machinery from previous uses, salinity creeping in from overflowing waterbodies, lost future acres to wetlands, high risk of no seeding next year, denitrification/leaching of n, leaching of sulfur, the unhealthy production potential of saturated soil, (takes a dryer year to get soil back to production, due to a massive dieoff of microorganisms caused by a lack of oxygen, I know this from 2006/2007) spreading weeds in waterways, weeds going to seed in areas planes can't reach, rotting grain in bins, bags, and piles you can not reach, are just a few of the costs you missed. I realize not everyone is from a region with about 10% done, but if you think your wet come see my region...

As well, what about the younger guys who own no land, but pay rent and bank payments. Then there is machinery payments. Buying all new seed for next year cuz this years needs to be sold to get a bit of cash, if you can get at the bins.

Want more? I got more!!! Just saying, for those of you wh have NO IDEA HOW WET IT IS in some areas.

Comment

I gave away a quarter section a couple weeks ago to a neighbor wanting to plant silage barley. Saves me the cost of Chemical for the year on that quarter wish he could have done more. For a grain producer thinking he is going to get a agristability payment for 2010 you better do some calculations. They don't pay for cost of rent, CCA, etc etc.

Comment

Checking not sure where your going with your comments.

So your saying anyone affected by flooding in Maple Creek, or Yorkton shouldn't get disaster assistance on their homes if they have a boat,or a camper sitting in their driveways?

Comment

The news reported on a lady in Saskatoon who had her home flooded 3x's over the last few years with insurance coverage each time. She was then denied flood insurance from all sources. Obviously, companies determined she was too great a risk to carry. She was hit, again. I consider that to be a case where government aid should step in.

Has crop insurance denied you coverage? If they have, I'd be pleased to give you the same consideration, as the above.

As it is, I guess we have one more sleep before we find out that one, or both of us will be angry at the announcement.

Comment

Checking I'm going to get sweet Fruck all out of any payment announcement that's coming but as a farmer You really ps me off. These guys have nothing and a god damn $50.00 an acre will do diddly squat. But the Dam dried out area when they had their disaster we helped them year in year out and then Crop insurance dropped those years to help with their 10 year averages. But when the East side gets creamed its BO ho. God this is absurd. I hope they get $100.00 Dam GMC and Chrysler got BILLIONS OF TAX PAYERS DOLLARS ALSO THE RBC CIBC TD BM ETC ETC. BUT that is OK. Cry me a river.

Comment

Freewheat.

Topography gives me 120 to 135 acre cropping quarters, year in - year out, even with the substantial improvements made over many years. If you subtract the rain events, is that the way it is for you?

As I see it, you have one problem, and unfortunately it has to solve itself. The trouble is you are too determined that it can be fought, so I guess you have two problems. I know I would not attempt to fight the number of battles that you have described. There is one cavaet, however, beavers without work material are what? Been there, made the improvement, solved the problem.

Areas that can't be sprayed are weedy. So what? That is not the end of the world if they are competing against themselves. They will suck up some of your surplus moisture. All of the weedy land is telling you it hasn't gone to the state you describe. If they go to seed, it's still not fatal. Some of my best fields were farmed (if it could be called that) by a one round tiller back in the seventies. Then it was off to town to the beer hall.

Back off with your planes, save your chemical. Stop rutting your fields. Stop trying the impossible that will lead to equipment breaks. Leave them in the quonset. Erosion problems are usually fixed by grassing out water runs. I'd question your thought process that lead to placement of bins, grainbags and piles on a flood plain.

Otherwise, it appears that you have everything under control.

Comment

Checking crowned himself/herself as king/queen of
                      the dumb ****s a while back.

Comment

And before dumb **** starts yappin-how many
                        people does the average sask farm provide for?

5-10 thousand people?

So we shouldnt do what we where born to do ?

We all know you didnt seed a crop-loser.

Comment

"what does it cost you to sustain your farm for a year?"

No chemical costs
                          No fertilizer costs
                          No pesticide costs
                          No crop insurance costs

So I guess the answer is: The farm sustains us.

Pars

Comment

You're entitled to your opinion, among other things that includes my tax support, apparently. Born to cry, cotton, is that it?

You still drinking warm milk, or do you funnel it in like the real thumb sucker that you portray?

Comment

Checking said....

Freewheat.

Topography gives me 120 to 135 acre cropping quarters, year in - year out, even with the substantial improvements made over many years. If you subtract the rain events, is that the way it is for you?

As I see it, you have one problem, and unfortunately it has to solve itself. The trouble is you are too determined that it can be fought, so I guess you have two problems. I know I would not attempt to fight the number of battles that you have described. There is one cavaet, however, beavers without work material are what? Been there, made the improvement, solved the problem.

Areas that can't be sprayed are weedy. So what? That is not the end of the world if they are competing against themselves. They will suck up some of your surplus moisture. All of the weedy land is telling you it hasn't gone to the state you describe. If they go to seed, it's still not fatal. Some of my best fields were farmed (if it could be called that) by a one round tiller back in the seventies. Then it was off to town to the beer hall.

Back off with your planes, save your chemical. Stop rutting your fields. Stop trying the impossible that will lead to equipment breaks. Leave them in the quonset. Erosion problems are usually fixed by grassing out water runs. I'd question your thought process that lead to placement of bins, grainbags and piles on a flood plain.

I Say;

Otherwise, it appears that you have everything under control.

I have 140-150 acre quarters.

Beavers without work material? What do you mean? I should log the 30 % slopes of the local ravines? WOW. Let me explain something. I am in a no drain zone. I am near two 200 acre lakes. They are full. Whenever it rains, the water pours out of them across my land. this has never happened in this farms 90 year history.

I WILL fight. I will spray my land.

My bins, pile, and bags are not on a fricking flood plain, they are on an elevated well sloped area. See, you just cannot fathom it is wet. VERY FRIGGIN' WET.

I swear you are just trying to jive with me. Tell me your just teasing!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...