• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do???

Checked the fields tonight that we sprayed for midge on wed, just as many or more there again. Phone the Dow rep of Mon a.m.? Spray again? I mean *** me $4 wheat? Conditions when sprayed were perfect, as far as weather and timeing - not spelling. At $7/bus hrsw - as we should be getting - differernt story.

Better check the new initials the Board announced Friday. You'll wonder why you bothered the first time.

Comment

Check the $ diff from a number 1 to a number 3 (all grade loss due to midge) x 50 bus and then ask again. I could care less about the 4-5 bus yield loss at these returns, it is the grade loss that will kick you in the balls or has an 80% chance to with the levels we have. Again what would you do???

Comment

I would grow high yielding wheat for 4 dollar feed, heck with the board.

Comment

Is it still in stage? Once the anther is out its done. I left mine because the is only 10% left to come. The little bastards can have it. There is only about a four day window per head you need to worry about.

Comment

300ac out of stage, 800ac still in.

Comment

Spray half and hopefully if there is a problem you will have some blending power. I know how your feeling you just keep pouring cash into a crop you hopefully get.

Comment

I'd make sure I had some unity ordered for next year too.

Comment

We have enough goodeve for seed in 90ac, but that does not help now.
                  Should i phone the Dow rep about haveing to respray just 4 days after a perfect application - I am just peeved that iy may not have worked at all. I hate spraying that stinky shit once let alone twice within 5 days.

Comment

furrow looking at wheat tonight .
                    yikes . did not have trouble seeing them.
                    1-2 per head. according to the map we were not supposed to have any.
                    time to check my stage, maybe i'm too late.

Comment

after reading up , maybe i overestimated numbers . i guess i freaked when i saw as many as i did.
                      wheat stage. the main stem has about
                      1/4 - 1/3 of head flowerd or anthered .
                      no sign of any flower on the tillers .
                      is it too late.
                      also read about densities , being higher at field edges. with the mosquitoes eating me alive even with repellent on., I did not venture too far into field.
                      i have not seen a sprayer moving around here. im pretty sure their midge.
                      i think with the price of wheat no one wants to look that hard

Comment

After spraying too late the first time ever spraying and having a 50 percent yield reduction on the unsprayed, I would choose to spray and not afraid of spraying late if I see midge. I believe the midge somehow know when to emerge, when the time is right for them. Spraying late also kills more midge parasites I am told.

Comment

It's a tough call. Three years ago never sprayed , thought wheat was flowered, half yield. Last two years sprayed and neighbors didn't, they had no yield loss. Seems wheat is only vulnerable when head is emerging, soon after, midge can't get in. Good luck, but we spent $6000 with no benefit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...