• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ontario winter wheat prices.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ontario winter wheat prices.

Good Day all. I was wondering if there is anybody out there who knows the source where the prices for ww in Ontario came from? I think it is high time the mla's and Brad Wall knew about how we are getting it where it hurts out here. I have winter wheat also, and its a damn nice looking crop, but $1.66?!!???. Where is the time warp that I am supposed to be in , because if we were in 1950 , this would ba a good price, sure as hell not now. My grandfather sold wheat in 1927 for 88 cents/ bu for a #2 red !!! If even the NFU can't see the anal raping that their members are getting , then maybe them and a few other organizations , like the CWB should move over and let us handle our own sales. Like the old saying goes "Lead , follow , or Get
    Out Of The Way"! ....... now where is my Jack Daniels.

Galaxie500;

http://www.gfo.ca/Marketing/WheatMarketing.aspx

These are Ontario Board traded and the price dropped $.04/bu since this morning (6.03)... was now at $5.99/bu.

Comment

I've always said that we have to hit bottom before there will be enough unrest to get sufficient people to make the changes happen. Apparently we haven't hit bottom yet.
      Normally though you'd think that apathy, ignorance and stupidity wouldn't run that deep.

Comment

Also here http://www.gfo.ca/Marketing/DailyCommodityReport.aspx for off-board prices.

Glad I still have most of mine sold for almost $2 more, now it sounds like we'll have weather this week to harvest and deliver.

Comment

And just how well did you do at 1.66 plus $2.00 more. The point is that a few cents more than your neighbors (or even $2.00) shouldn't be the benchmark. It needs to be at a profit level that doesn't require government payments, you working for nothing and the contributions of others off-farm income.

Comment

Becareful oneoff. The last time I mentioned this I got jumped all over.

However I will say it again. If 7000 farmers are controling 85% of the grain, all they have to do is refuse to sign A series contract at these prices and you will see big changes.

Comment

wmoebis.

I find that part of your thoughts to be worth signing onto. Fortunately, for it to work, we have the 7000 crackers all in the same box. Unfortunately, each one of those boxed crackers is individually wrapped, and always appear content to go to the whining stage, but still continue to feed the system.

I've suggested your way of choking off supply to overcome the CWB by starving them out of their offices. I've even been benevolent in suggesting that I would gladly pay our CWB workers to stay home to satisfy the lost jobs of Winnipeg concern.

The reply was that we have been doing that for the last 20 years by growing less wheat. That is not what I would call a fast radical solution.

If the use it or lose it principle works, they would soon turn from fresh white bread to toast with your 85% solution.

Comment

Oneoff I forgot not everybody remembers I'm in Ontario. The wheat I'm delivering this week was sold in January 2008 for almost $2 more than the local price is now. Just making some sales now for next year and trying to talk the local elevator into getting some 2012 prices for info.

Comment

Oneoff I forgot not everybody remembers I'm in Ontario. The wheat I'm delivering this week was sold in January 2008 for almost $2 more than the local price is now. Just making some sales now for next year and trying to talk the local elevator into getting some 2012 prices for info.

Comment

There is absolutely no reason to be careful.

Apparently most farmers are so myopic; focusing on me #1; that they are missing the big picture. Still it would be refreshing for those poor souls (as well as the rest (a small minority) who don't participate in the government payment schemes at each and every turn) to actually be paid a fair price ; rather than relying on a pretty blatant welfare system in order to make ends sort of meet.

Comment

dalek, If all your nieghbours (competition) were willing to contract for $2 less than you, filling the market. What is your secret to get the extra $2. Assuming equal quality.

Comment

wmoebis,

It is called: Risk; reward.

JUst like you can lock in Canola for Nov 11... take the risk... you MAY get $2/bu more next fall. Some buyers of Canola even provide 'Act of God' clauses!

Dalek... thanks for being part of our discussion!

Comment

Dalek also does not have the CWB selling out his grain for that 2 dollars less.
                          Actually if all the nieghbors were willing to sell for 2 dollars less then when the market runs out of grain to buy then sell for 2 more. I think Dalek knows his cost of production and profit levels really well better than most, that helps. He planted his wheat planning for a profit. If he could not pencil in a profit he may choose to grow something else, I take it his contracts are more grower friendly than CWB contracts. Lets remember he is also unloading his grain at harvest time.

Comment

I'm also getting paid, cash in hand, within 5 business days. Guaranteed. Unlike my neighbours selling through the Ontario board who last year got their final payment in April for wheat delivered in July of the previous year, but they prefer dealing with the board.

It has it's ups and downs, but you have to keep in mind our contracts here mostly have the grade discounts spelled out in them and often that is a bigger advantage than the price itself. Delivering last year on contracts with discounts on feed grade wheat of $25/tonne, spelled out in the contract, made a HUGE difference. I was delivering wheat contracted at $250 for $225 as feed grade wheat at the same time as my neighbour was getting $75 for feed wheat and the cash price for grade 2 was in the $145-150 range. You just have to know your costs and know what risks you're willing to accept, no use contracting for a 50% loss. 50% profit is a different story.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...