• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August 1st does it really pay to keep trying to save this crop!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 1st does it really pay to keep trying to save this crop!

Few planes still going last few nights and mornings. Midge and disease control most likely. One guys HRS has been headed for two weeks he sprayed a day ago. But boys the date on the calender is August 1st, we live in Canada where were now in the count down to winter. This crop has to be pushed not delayed any more. Yes in a normal year their is a time and place to save a crop but once August is here (unless its Bertha) shouldn't one be concentrating on getting it in the bin. One extra bushel wont make or break it.
    Or do guys pump so much money into a crop that it becomes like a heroin addict you just have to keep feeding it.
    This brings me to my point, Cargill rep at farm other day and all he talked about was their target program for peas oats flax barley and canola. Pick a number and if our buyer needs it, it gets hit then you deliver. Cash flow was his other comment. So it got me to thinking who does these target programs that are norm for western Canada working for.
    Peas as latest example.
    Some 5.25 were picked up but no 5.50 and 6.00. Hm does that mean the poor schmuck that over spent needs cash so he is willing to sell at lower price just to feed his addiction. Or does it help the grain companies to make sales at 7 plus and see how many suckers will bite at low end to help improve the grain companies profit margin.
    Its a vicious circle first they try to get you to grow a crop, then they come out and tell you (their agrologist) put every single thing to it and you will be rewarded. (their selling you the products that need to be applied). Then when they no the crop is not quite their they talk cash flow and picking a target price to help you pay the bill to them. Its one vicious circle that is just getting more and more worse.
    So why are guys not getting tough and telling them to stick these programs.
    Why! because once they get a guy hooked and the farmer feels his marketing is working because he received what he wanted who is the real winner though.
    I believe the grain companies but what do the rest of you feel.
    I always say once your in control they are at your mercy when you owe them money your at theirs.

Keep pumping the insecticides and herbicides. Most producers have $100/acre of investment in land and machines before they even turn a key. Another $125.00 - $150.00 acre of inputs. They have to "protect their investment". Spray and spray and spray. Some industry rhetoric around here for some canola bug, the threshold is one, and that the worms in canola can eat up to 2 bushels/acre/day. Keep spraying, the retailers love it. In the end, if the crop is dismal, or not as expected, retailers have the farmers cash, and the farmer will make due, they always find a way.

Comment

I believe you two guys have it figured out. The rest of the majority are doing themselves no long term favors and are in fact setting and in effect depressing prices for the first half of every marketing year.

This harms the whole of the farming community; as the financially weakest drag everyone down to unprofitable levels.
      And yes farming on its own is unproofitable and not sustainable without government payments; off farm income sources and working for basically nothing for your entire life. This is a fact for an average farmer; and of course you can point out the exceptions to the average; no denying that. BUT ON AVERAGE It's a fact; that farming runs on others money.

Comment

Oneoff, I was not ranting, It was a little tongue in cheek. I went organic about 5 years ago. It has its own set of problems like anything, I am not against conventional farmers, but man, I have never seen so much insecticide used in my 19 years of farming. Midge, army worms, beetles, japanese movie monsters. The theory behind it is, protect your investment. That stinky stuff will take 5 years off your life. If you are big enough to make your hired man run the sprayer, then no problem, they deal with exposure, you stay in the truck! Again, I will not criticize too heavy, we have very big successful farms in the area and they grow massive crops and spray for everything. It must be working. Especially the employees driving the sprayer thing. Smart managers. They are good enough to buy the product and take it to the field.

Comment

yes it's crazy , spent another 9 grand
          on lorsban . theory was , almost too late , for main head , but have 20-30-% tillers vulnerable to big midge no.s

theory if i do it myself 9-10$/acre

worst case it freezes . i might break even on feed wht yield loss , best case
          i gain 1$ a bushel on 50 bushel.
          lots of ways to lose the 9 grand completely. hail etc.
          if i make the 50 $ revenue Canada will want 20 .
          only bonus is I won't have worms

maybe the people that get beer money and cable out of the system, have it figured out. no stress no worries

Comment

And I am not kidding either.

Comment

I have given up on this crop,it's a right off.The best thing that could happen for my farm right now is hail,and lot's of it!!!!

Comment

sawfly,

I am doing a wee little better than beer money and cable with considerable less stress. Oneoff has a true point with my farm. I did not get any help from my parents, I have always been "over leveraged." The only positive change I made, was changing to organic it removed my fert and chem expense. I used the same borrowed money to buy farmland. Hence, the same money has to be paid back, when I do so, then I have an genuine asset in farmland. Its easier on my nerves/stress level. Its a little hard to get my small brain around it but, once the crop germinates, its in Gods hands!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...