• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Altona ND Spring wheat price in Pit!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altona ND Spring wheat price in Pit!

Cash Price 5.70 5.70 6.05 6.31 December is the 6.31. Hm how is the CWB doing for you with FPC DP FU Price etc etc etc.
    Why is wheat rising well Russia produced 62 plus million tons last year with this drought probably down to almost 42 million tons throw in Europe's problems and canada's and were getting to have a little situation going on. 20 mill ton drop is oh lets say all of Canadian production. Hm OK not quite but looks interesting. Speculators are jumping on this ship next high could be June 2009 high price. Keep watching, oh yea we live in western Canada where our grain is saved promised etc etc to our preferred customers for a discount. Aw if only we could feel the freedom.

CWB fixed price contract for CWRS back to me came in at $5.54 cnd yesterday.

Sask, are those prices you're quoting in American dollars?

Comment

http://www.bertholdfarmers.com/

Spring wheat 14% - $5.47
      Winter wheat 11.5% - $4.27

Posted Thursday 7/29
      Spring Wheat at Berthold limited please call
      Yellow and Green Peas Monday at Berthold
      Durum at Carpio Limited space (check)
      Spring and Wtr.Wht Friday at Carpio
      Barley at Berthold Monday call first
      Any pro Spring Wheat 3.75
      Winter Wheat scales 10 per 1/2 up and 20 per half dn
      Spring Wheat protein scale - .20 1/4 up and .30 1/4 dn from 14pro
      Certified Jerry Winter Wheat Seed for sale - $6.00

Comment

SF3, I don't think your numbers for Russian wheat production are accurate. That aside, their production woes aren't driving prices. Most parts of Europe had a decent crop, things in the US and the southern hemisphere looked really good. A 20 million ton drop in production is nothing when you look at the world stocks of wheat, which are still over 35% higher than two years ago and possibly the largest in history. The price rise in wheat is piggy backing on corn with lower acres seeded and inventories consistently on the fall for the past 3 years. That combined with huge demand from the ethanol industry in the US, the corn price will likely continue to rise for awhile. When corn stops rising, so will wheat. And our grain is not saved and promised for low paying customers, there seems to be a common perception on this site that the government is out to get farmers. I agree that not all things that the government does makes sense but I personally know many people who work for the CWB and they are honestly and passionately looking out for the best interest of the producer.

Comment

Jethro84, I too am a government worker just like your CWB friends. I could have retired two years ago so I know government really well. I am sure your friends are very passionate about their jobs and they go to work everyday to do the best they can.

Having said that, I do not feel the CWB is doing me any favors by marketing my grain when I can do it myself, and I want to do it myself. I actually trust the grain companies... take this year for example, I did not seed one acre of board grains. I still have durum left over from two years ago, and also last year. If I use a bench mark reduction in price for every year I am forced to hold durum, then the durum from two years ago has cost me over 20% of the price I eventually get... so if the price is $4.00 now and I could sell my grain, then I actually get about $3.20 for it... and yes two springs ago when the US price was $6 I would have pre-sold 25% to 50% of it.

It costs me money to store this durum the CWB will not take nor let me sell. My new bins cost $2.75 to $3.00 per bushel so if I say 10% of that cost goes to the durum I am stuck with, then the price I eventually get is even less.

I do not like the CWB, I like its employees, but not the institution. How can we have so many complicated programs and contracts, then we are forced to deal with just one company (the CWB). I do not have any trouble with any other grain company nor do I have any trouble with any of the contracts I sign with them.

If you take the producers that make up 90% of the durum grown in Canada, and it will be a small number, and then ask them if they want to be in or out of the CWB, I think the answer would be OUT. At least if you asked me I would say OUT. So what you have is the majority of the voters for the CWB having only 10% of the interest (at least for durum).

Why can't the CWB get out of the durum business? If I had to, I would vote myself out and even sign a waiver that says I will never want back in. I am positive I would be happier with my durum marketing.

Again I am not worried, concerned, or even thinking about all the years when 100% of durum is sold at an acceptable price... what makes me mad is the 2 or 3 years in 10 that the CWB does not do as good a job as I could. So, the employees do a 99% job, but the institution gets a D grade (at best) because about 20% of the time they do not meet my standard.

Two positives about the CWB. One, the spring advance, and two, we always get our money, albeit we have to wait a year and a half for our profit margin. So I guess the interest free spring advance is kind of a payback for the wait.

Comment

Cash advance is a government funded program and would exist with or without the CWB. The CWB simply writes the cheque for the government backed loans and manages the program. Canadian Canola Growers do the same thing with non board grains.

That said tho, that takes away the only thing you like about the CWB.

Comment

The price of a bin.....

Divide your $3.00 (just a number) by 30 years and your cost is 10 cents/bushel/yr.

I have NEVER seen a farm sell where the value of that bin hasn't APPRECIATED over the years. Thus the cost of that bin should be less than 5c/bushel, and thats not counting the depreciation you took.

It looks like a hit in a year with poor cash flow, but it should be looked at as an investment.

Comment

We would not need to buy the extra bins this year if it was not for the CWB.. And if you never use them another year the price is 3 dollars per bushel.

Comment

Bins, unlike those extra new 3/4 tons farmers have ordered with their $30.00 entitlements, will never be water down a gopher hole. Put my tax dollars into bins, compare the value of the two in a few years, and I won't see your top up as a waste of Canadian resources.

Comment

If I was getting lots of 30 dollar top up I would not need bins..

Comment

For a newguy, you are thinking way too short term.

What brand of truck?(lol)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...