• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year of Rain in WEST is not same as Three or more in the EAST!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One year of Rain in WEST is not same as Three or more in the EAST!

Had a guy from the Western part of Sask at farm on weekend to buy a machine we had for-sale.
    The guy was talking about his crop and how after three years of drought or poor crops he had one. Hey it happens Were in his shoes now with floods. I said its nice to see the West have big yields. He felt his HRS and Barley would do excellent. Lentils and Peas had problems. And his Canola crop although excellent not like he saw last year in our area. But still excellent and probably his largest ever.
    What got me was his comments on moisture situation how they were like us now with the excess rain. Wow I explained that you sink a post in ground and come back that afternoon and their is water in the hole. Or any back road is impassible with a grain truck. Or Roads washed out, Sloughs over roads and gone. ETC ETC ETC. He just didn't get it.
    Oh well his check was good that's all that mattered but the West needs two more years like we had this year to get the water levels up to our levels.
    Have a safe harvest.

And the moral of the story-a guy from the west was
    buying used eguipment from a guy from the east.

Comment

My story for what is worth.

My brothers farm is Calgary area. Actually relatively dry June/July (yes I did use that word). August wetter holding promise of a pretty good year.

Last Sunday. Hail storm. First since 2006. Dodged the bullet the last few years (lots of hail in the area) but not this year. A risk managment plan in place (crop and hail insurance) but still not the opportunity to harvest a good crop/sell for a good price.

Stuff happens.

Comment

SK3,

I'm sure this is the first crop failure in history for Kamsack, and I'm sure there's never been hail or an August frost there either, resulting in a monstorous crop of chicken feed. What's your problem? You should talk less and listen more and you'll realize that every area has it's advantages and disadvantages, moisture vs. frost free days, volume vs. quality, production potential vs. freight rates, ect... I sure you're the smartest guy you know but I would bet at the end of the day over 10 years net income across the non-irrigated land west of the manitoba/sask border would average out to be pretty similar.

By the way, broke the 30" mark last week, west of Saskatoon, don't think you're the only one with a little bit of water laying around. Maybe when I'm done harvest I'll have time to join your pitty party.

Comment

adobe one its not a pity party its what a lot of guys on the east side are hearing from west side farmers. Truth is its getting so wet a crop in 2011 might not get seeded by some. Yet its a pity party good one. Its wet in west and that is great but if the line moves further west the next year you might be in the situation that's over here.
          But hey have a good one I am every day.

Comment

Like charlie said stuff happens.

Comment

This goes against better judgment, but some of these guys ( no names here ) just don't get it either ( and appear incapable of EVER getting it ). Some of these posts are absolutely hillarious.

Some of the most advanced agricultural equipment and practices in the hands of and performed by .... some noticeably unique individuals .

In need of a laugh, check here daily...

Comment

if you farm marginal land on borrowed money, whether in canada, scotland or australia, it makes you a bit mad eventually.

Comment

Yea marginal land. good one.

Comment

If I had Saskfarmer's money I would burn mine. Too much money can make you mad also.

Comment

Get what rook?

Comment

So what is marginal land? This year are the what 9, 10 million acres that aren't seeded marginal land especially if they aren't seeded next year again, is it where it freezes usually more, drought prone areas, where is it? We are seeing that weather is the boss and dictates crop or not and income or not, funny some still don't see that. Equipment and technology can change all it wants to but at the end of the day weather patterns dictate the crop and your livelyhood. What worked last year doesn't neccessary mean works this year it's a guess at best, for example you can think your right on top of the game buying top of the line airdrill so much measured compaction, spacing, and exact seed depth, new worth what 150,000 plus, and this year some one next to you floats on canola heavy harrows and guess what next to nothing on either field, but in areas few miles over not quite as much rain the floating worked better row packers on the air drill didn't work, if the year would have been dry like predicted the floated stuff would likely not done as well as the air drill, so with that one example of variables and unpredictable weather patterns how do you classify marginal land?

Comment

i suppose it has to go on the likelihood of crop failure in say one year in five.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...