• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hows your "F - - KING" Day going!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convincing,so are the idiots walking around saying
    bread is bad for you,difference is i dont tell them
    not to say it.

Control,control,control,are thoughts,are actions,all
    the while flying the holier than you flag.

Whats the old saying?

There are two types of people in this world-those
    who want to be left alone and those who wont leave
    them alone.

leave us alone-if we want to complain and swear
    just dont *** read us.

Comment

Then ignore the positive post cotton, pretty simple.

Comment

I am going to take one last stab at this.

Klause said,
        "I will change the classifications though. There are those that, through luck, have grown large, and have become arrogant... The arrogance is masking ignorance. The other type of farmer is the one who grows his crop, follows his beliefs, is conservative, saves some money, and isn't capitalized up to the wazoo."

I don't think you can attribute success to luck those that have large successful farms have taken calculated risks, made good decisions and understand business and economics. Probably a good idea to get post secondary education before you farm.

However I think you can attribute some failures or lack of progress to bad luck.

"However, you, who has one bad year and is crying he needs government funds, is a good manager?"

I don't think I am going to have a bad year crops are really good but only 20% done harvest. But if I do I know I can have two bad years before my agristability margin starts to decline.

My profits are right where they should be invested back into my operation so they can generate more profits for me. More land more grain storage you know stuff like that. And we have lots of working capital so we could go quite awhile without a crop even if there was no crop ins or agristabilityinvestrecovery.

My point was that agristability and to a lesser extent crop ins pay good farmers more that bad ones. I just think it is better than paying based on acres or gross sales. But actually in my farming utopia there would be no subsidies at all.

On the work ethic/off farm income comments.

It would cost my farm far more to lose me for a winter than I could ever make at a job and I think I could get a pretty good job. I will quote a good friend of mine "there is hard work and there is smart work" and remember don't mistake activity for productivity.

Guess what there are some dog F(*^%g farmers. And they don't deserve to farm and certainly don't deserve random gov payments to keep them in the business of dog humping.

Comment

Freewheat.

I recognize that you are more than articulate enough to defend your thoughts, so hence the brush off of perhaps an area citizen in riders2010.

I'll accept your take on what is wrong with what are labelled as safety nets. You have me at an disadvantage, but no envy here, that they don't work in a changed region now more suited to fish agriculture than grain production, but mainly your advantage is in the knowledge you've gained in participation in programs. I cringe at the thought of such words as programs, and if I had had to rely on them to continue farming I would have changed businesses. That's just me.

If I had the power, and it has always been limited to an involuntary electrical response only sufficient to drive my heart, I would require from you a commitment that you would make a refund to the public purse when the normal times return to historic production. The way I see it your area has developed too much of a risk factor for what your first choice is to do with the land. If you wanted my support, you would have to agree to this.

I've likely labelled people on here, but it is not a wise thing to do. You would be wrong to believe I'm anywhere close to being a right wing farmer simply based on the two criteria you have listed.

You have a valid point with the watershed authority, but you would find that their action resulted from complaint(s), and for $200.00 you could lodge the same one against an upstream neighbour. The authority is required to respond to determine its validity. There is one thing that you can do that does not change the historic water storage on your property, and that is to consolidate it to a specific area. A thousand islands could become one that's farmable with your own private little lake.

Confronted with your situation, I'd hook my 4WD tractor up to a 26 foot mower, after ground freeze up, and mow it. I've done the same with cattail areas, and it does work, and has limited expense. Nothing is wrecked. There are no ruts. There is no partial burn, and there is a chance you will be able to do something with it come spring. It's the reason I suggested to you awhile back that I wouldn't fight a weed-water situation that wouldn't support equipment. I'd let it grow to consume some of the moisture, and my expense would no where near a program payment.

Take care.

Comment

you guys need to send all your phots of bogged combines to the bbc website, and all newspapers.
            tell them you wont seed next yr either.
            and please stop knocking seven bells out of each other.

Comment

Some very good postings.

All I have to say about these people complaining about bogging down with stuck swathers and combines. For Khristsake...why are you out there when the soil is too wet? My dad, who was a horseman from day one, always said that one should wait until the soil would support the equipment. He hated having to pull people out of the mud with his team of horses when common sense would have avoided the predicament in the first place.

Comment

I was reading Saskfarmers very first quote. If I were his fuel dealer I certainly wouldn't make my drivers to be pulled through a 1 2/2 miles just to fill a swather.

Comment

I am sure it's his OWN fuel truck. 10000 acre neighbor has his own here.

Comment

wilagro... Another guy from a dry area....

Comment

Probably, freewheat, but I am thinking the crop out there is NOT worth wrecking my machinery and stressing out over. If things don't improve drastically I'm willing to wait for crop insurance after snow and birds get rid of the evidence that there was a shitty crop in the midst of all the water holes!

Comment

I hear ya fjlip. I'm just sayin' though.

Comment

Checking when can I borrow your mower, I have a few cattail patches to mow down. Just how long does it take for the 2 ft of water under them to freeze hard enough to support machinery? Some people just dont grasp how wet it is out there, Im even having a hard time wrapping my head around it. From an arial perspective there is more water than dirt in fact most patches of dirt are just islands. By the way my day was pretty good other than the Riders falling on their faces.

Comment

By god willie, good post. P.S. b/c the they have too, farm some more s/f, make it 200 1/4's - that will fix the problem.

Comment

freewheat: In this area we have had over 18 inches of rain this summer. Does that sound like a "dry" area?

I still say that it is senseless to "ask for trouble" when trying to harvest obviously wet fields. Some people are brutes for punishment though...I see it all the time. Last week I saw three swathers working one quarter of wet soggy canola. The deep ruts they were making were ridiculous and the field had many holes where they had to pull each other out. Seeing those water-filled ruts, I couldn't see the logic in even attempting to work in such conditions.

Comment

Hey Willy we have had 50 inches of rain now, does that sound wet?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...