• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frost and canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frost and canola

Ok so I have this ridiculously heavy half section (50 bpa plus) of canola. Only problem its a week to swathing and they are calling for -3 by friday.. Do I swath it tommorow or let it stand?? The seed is firm and has some color change in most areas (5-10%) I have seen canola swathed this green in the north many times, but typically never happens here. What do i do??

If it has any color change and the seeds are firm get cutting. Cool wet weather will cure it out, there will be enough moisture in the plant to finish turning the seeds. It will still take three weeks to a month to cure out in the swath at these temperatures. Oct 12 is getting close to winter. Get on you swather this morning.

Comment

Get the hell out there and swath it! Now!

Comment

That's what I would do knock it down. It will need a few days knocked down before the frost to minimize damage, with the cool weather it shouldn't be a quick kill. Think you would do alright, but if it doesn't turn out Breadwinner said it first! LOL!

Comment

Wohhhaa... slow down there.

Canola needs to be under 20% moisture for frost not to damage it.

Check your E-mail. I've forwarded the Canola watch.... also pasted below:

<em>Frost

Growers have two swath decision scenarios when it comes to frost: 1) Should a grower swath canola when frost is in the forecast? 2) Should a grower swath immediately after a frost?

Swathing canola in anticipation of frost only works when seeds are firm not watery, and when the swath has 3 good drying days before frost hits. This gives seed time to dry to below 20% moisture. At that point, frost damage to the seed will be minimal.

If light frost occurs before 3 good drying days, there is not enough time to have seed colour change. Frost can stop de-greening enzymes and lock in high green counts. Green seed levels can still be reduced after the frost event — but only if there’s enough time before the next frost and if there’s adequate moisture to rehydrate the seed.

When canola is fairly green and frost risk is only slight, there is more upside to leaving the crop standing. Swathing too early to avoid the risk of frost can often translate into yield and quality losses.

When to swath after a frost is more complicated. Assess fields one to 3 days after the frost, then make the harvest decision. Here are 4 situations and decision-making tips for each:

50% of the field has moderate to severe damage. Yield and quality will be significantly reduced. With severe damage, the canopy turns white, pods have a bleached and shrunken appearance, and seeds shrivel and turn white. If the remaining 50% of the field has light to minimal damage, swathing too early may further reduce yield and grade. Swathing when plants with minimal damage reach 50% to 60% seed colour change can allow the intact seed to continue to change colour and fill, improving both grade and yield. Anything severely damaged will likely shell out or be separated with the chaff or dockage.

More than 50-60% severely damaged. The crop will shell so it is best to swath to protect any viable seeds. Quality is likely to be poor anyway, so it is more important to protect as much yield as possible. If the grower decides to swath right away, the field in question should be one of the last fields combined to allow as much time as possible for green seed clearing.

Light to moderate damage in portions or throughout the field. Leave this for swathing at the proper stage. With moderate damage, pods will have white speckling on the outside and some seeds will turn brown and shrivel. However, pods remain reasonably intact and pliable and some seed remains green and turgid. Swathing when healthy seed is at 50% to 60% seed colour change gives healthy seed time to reach optimum yield and quality. Damaged seed will shrivel and blow out of the combine with the chaff or ending up as dockage. With moderate frost damage, growers will want to monitor the crop more closely than with other frost damage. If pods desiccate, they are prone to shattering, so consider swathing the whole field or just the affected areas if shattering losses could exceed gains from leaving the crop an extra day or two.

Some light damage in portions or throughout the field. Leave the crop and swath at the proper stage based on seed colour change of the healthy seed. Light damage may cause some seeds to turn “shoe polish” brown, but pods and most seeds generally remain intact and turgid. Swathing immediately after a light frost may result in higher economic and yield losses than if the crop were left alone.

For photos of severe, moderate and light frost damage, please download the Canola Council of Canada factsheet, “Early fall frost. Now what?”</em>

Comment

That's good info but the question is how big will the frost really be -3 for half an hour -3 all night, or maybe actually -5, or 0. But I assumed you said they were all firm, and some color change. Some guys swath that way all the time (I don't).

Comment

It takes a few days before frost won't lock in the green...but, if it's heavy swath, the top will act like a blanket and if it's only a light frost the inside will be ok. IMO canola should be down by labour day if it needs it or not.

Comment

I have been in this situation before and it will supprise you how good it will turn out. Get er down the inside of the swath wont freeze the top acts like a blanket. Klause those recomendations are made for normal hot dry falls not cool wet ones. Cut it down!!!! You can send me a share of it if you like. I could even come help you harvest it if you can stand to have a red combime in your field.

Comment

cant get the swather to the field cause of the mud.. Gonna knock it down tomorrow..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...