• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traders taking a wait and See attitude!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In response to GF - A friend who sat under the armpit of Bob Peterson (CEO of IPB now Tyson) said there average ROI after tax was 33% and that was in the 80's!
    The Cargill’s of the world will not build huge facilities unless their prospectus shows capitalization in 3 to 4 yrs.
    To smc: shouldn't you just be
    able to take the plan public and receive
    financing through Bay street or the
    general public?
    Good point – but I think that the only real salvation for the beef industry and to give us the unmitigated world market lead, power, and influence where needed is to…
    1) the industry needs to be under its own control. Plus
    2)When we have a stake in our own destiny guess where our commitment will lay.
    3)Plus may I add there are huge profits as I pointed out above to the packer and when you examine the USPB model, to the producer as well. You will never get those benefits from a corporate entity. You would be surprised how many ag-producers have shares in the Cargill’s, Vitera’s and Monsanto’s of our industry.

Kato - “And yes, we invested in a plant too and watched it scuttled by regulations and financing delays”
    I have numerous small meat/butcher/private kills that will talk to you for hours (literally) and tell you how the regulations are trying to kill their business. Shame on Canada and the CFIA! As long as you have the multinationals feeding the govts with the information regarding regulations it will only get worse. They want the small boys out and will never stop working to that end. One way or another!
    I applaud the small successful initiatives, don’t get me wrong. However to really impact and give back the opportunity to have a vibrant industry and capitalize on the markets that are there, we have one choice, either do it big enough or capitulate to the Multi-nationals (which unfortunately includes our native Alberta boys).

Comment

Personnally, I like speculators in the market. As the above report indicated, it was speculators driving the market up even though world supply was adequate...THANK YOU speculators. It is harder to read the market but we would never have had the highs of 2008 or the small bump up we've had over the past few months without them. Now the challenge is to learn to take advantage of these situations. The CWB should take a lesson as well as me. Oh wait, I would be paying twice for that professional development then.

Comment

It's obvious WD40 that you have the same addiction as I have
        Another plant in Alberta would probably lower the basis by at least $5/cwt and that's a cash infusion into the beef sector of over $70 million/yr
        As far as a business investment GF...if you were to take your TFSA (tax free savings account) and invest $10,000 in ACT (Alberta Cattleman's Trust) you could be part of a group that could lease slaughter capacity at an existing facility that would be federally inspected and EU certified with world class management. There would be a national retailer willing to enter into a long term contract for the cattle. As WD40 has stated, there could be a 33% return but as many will also state, you may be another one to add the stories of investments gone wrong.
        One thing that I'm certain that WD40 would agree on is the status quo won't work.
        We are looking for 200 investors at $10,000 to join with existing partners.
        my email is g.etherington@hmsinet.ca and your contact will be kept confidential

Comment

Sean that was my point exactly - if it is such a sound idea where are the Bay Street investors? I happen to know one prominent Toronto venture capitalist and I discussed this very issue with him a few years back. He told me that normally it is really easy to gather capital for anything that is "bricks and mortar" versus teckie companies for example where the idea may just be a theory on a piece of paper. As long as you can show a credible business plan to accompany the bricks and mortar plan there should be plenty capital forthcoming. Yet it seems these people are not willing to step into this fray - I suspect their business analysis of the sector with regard to competition, Government etc leads them to the same conclusion as my own.

WD40 - I think you are right that to benefit producers they must own the plan but to date every plan has gone sideways on that point - there are never enough producers willing to commit capital so it becomes a matter of raising a % of the capital and expecting Government or "investors" to come up with the majority. I don't know how to get around that problem. There just seems a lack of appetite(and/or funds)among producers to take on the risk required. As Sawbones commented a while back we are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

We need speculators and big money.

365 days to produce the u.s corn crop of what 10
            billion bushels?(cant exactly remember)-50 billion
            dollars buys that.

oil market 80 million barrels a day times 80bucks-
            6.4 billion a day

There is lots of money in this world to send our
            prices into outer space.

Comment

One problem with producer owned packing plants is the time factor. If primary producers get involved with every other sector of the chain, whose at home looking after the cows? In my point of view, that is an incredibly important job. Whatwith the added requirements and the possibility of MORE requirements coming down the pipeline this whole business of raising cattle is going to become even more time consuming. Just think about it - age verification, traceability, On-Farm Food Safety (although voluntary at this time), biosecurity requirements, any up and coming disease control requirements, environmental issues (LUF) and what about animal welfare required by the likes of MacDonald's? Isn't all of this actually worth something? Maybe what we as primary producers should concentrate on is gaining control of our sector, because we have what THEY want. Where are the innovative entrepreneurs.........

Comment

BINGO - you got my point take back control

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...