• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Spread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Spread

The Mar-May canola spread has been quite narrow the last couple of weeks, $2-3. Does anyone think it's wise to sign a Mar basis contract to get it gone relatively early and taking the role right now in hopes of the spread widening?

Your risk factor (pain and reward) going into the May contract is the South American soybean crop and the acreage war between US corn and soybeans in 2011. I like the idea of using slower winter deliveries (or perhaps better the need to keep canola moving into the system) to price out ahead of March but I won't pretend to know what will happen this spring. Suspect there will be carry into new crop (caveat being South America). May also be a year to look at call purchases at appropriate times this spring to replace old crop.

Comment

Know it is canola but would include the implications of $6/bu corn and having its end of 2010/11 carryover under a billion bu. We seem to oblivious of that fact in western Canada (not sure why) but this is a major factor that will impact markets over the coming year.

Comment

Depending on SA crop reports I would still likely price the contract by mid Feb to manage the downside of a good SA bean crop. I just feel that the spread is artificialy low due to the uncertanty of the current crop production levels and that a guy could probably catch an extra $6-10/mt once the facts are known and the spread returns to a more typical level.

Comment

So you are thinking about selling cash off the March and buying May futures?

Strategy looks interesting. Others thoughts?

Comment

Not quite, it's more of a basis play. Lock the Mar basis, take the role imediatley for a low fee because of the narrow spread. Sit back and wait for the spread to get wider then price the futures before the SA crop comes off.

Comment

I've been looking at those spreads too and also wondering if I could make them work. But then I can never quite figure out how to do it! Going to use put options to make a floor and then sell into strength off the July futures. Am also thinking about buying calls to replace old crop. Not really when to do the calls though. Any thoughts?

Comment

You're not going to make much on playing that spread, might gain a couple of bucks. The real deal was a couple of months ago when July 11, Nov 10 had an inverse of $10. That spread hit $20 last week. See you in Hawaii.

Comment

I have just been buying/selling the canola and bean futures. There is not much volume (if any ) in the canola options. Sold 1/3 of production off combine and replaced with 3X jan futures. locked in a -15 Nov basis on remaining 2/3. Should have a couple thousand bushels left in bin bottoms to outright gamble with. Rest will be gone by mid Nov so won't have to babysit, push snow, drag trucks through mud, -40 cold, or have it all heat!!!. All going direct to crusher picked up at bin for better/higher price than delivering to any local terminals.

Comment

Off the topic canola spread topic but a day like today highlights how interesting things are going ahead. Volatility will be the name of the game over the next winter. Looking forward to it.

Comment

[URL="http://farms.com/FarmsPages/Markets/tabid/214/Default.aspx?&page=chart&sym=RSX10"]november canola[/URL]

Comment

bunge just increased the street basis to 45 bucks today.

Comment

Because farmers like rye and hanmers from Govan Sask had 50 bushel canola this year. No brainer to sell now if had that crop.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...