• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

La Nina

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've got a tub, and a solid sided wooden chute, and wouldn't be without them. If it wasn't for the tub, we'd have a hard time doing anything to the bulls. We'd really rather not put them up the alley into the headgate unless we have to. They tend to smash things up. So we just shut the gate in the tub until they're wedged in the corner.

We sometimes vaccinate cows crowded in the chute, but boy, those heads do fly around. The older the cow, the wiser. Ours generally go through the chute at preg checking, when they need to be caught, in January for scour vaccine and ade, which is the time the odds are highest they'll be vaccinated in the alley. The only other time they go through is in spring before pasture vaccinations, and we always have tags to replace, so have to catch a bunch then.

Calves and feeders are always caught in the headgate. For us it's faster. They get more than one shot each, and the little guys we buy to background just turn around in the chute anyway. The alley is designed for cows, and those little athletes can really maneuver in there. LOL Unless you've got an alley with adjustable sides, it's impossible to have it perfect when you've got everything from babies to bulls going through there. So we averaged it out and made it the right size for cows.

Comment

I've seen plenty of the Ketchum metal tags lost too Allfarmer. Biggest problem is the person applying them has to leave enough room for the ear to grow - if you don't they can tear out as the ear grows - at the same time if you leave too much room for growth the tags can move about and you finish up with them revolving in the ear. Quite often this gets infected and the hole enlarges. Other problems are pail bunter calves that suck on the others ears and also the tags wearing through at the outside edge of the ear - typically happens with cattle confined in barns with concrete walls or tie stall posts to rub on. Tends to be an old cow problem but it does happen!

I really like the EID type plastic tag installed inside the ear away from sucking, rubbing or catching on things. We have better retention on EIDs than we had on ketchums metal tags and they were the staple for decades in the UK.

Comment

Ketchum Metal tags---#2 curlock worked very well the years I was in Veterinary Practice working the Cereal, Veteran and Provost Auction markets when I preg-checked thousands of cattle from 1976-1995 and H.OF A. Bled at the same time for brucellosis testing.

The veterinarians that were before me commented on the success of their useage in the 60s and 70s before my time.

Going back to basics in our cow-herd now this fall are carrying the Ketchum #2 eartag with a herd number and our last name on it. Trying again to try to maintain a permanent Id on each individual animal. It is only going in the cow-herd. We purchase the same F1s from the same producer every year and when they reach our ranch they will be given a Ketchum tag with a number.

Back to basics.

Comment

We use the Ketchum with a number and our name on it too. I don't recall ever losing one. We don't use these on newborns though, just on "keepers", so the growing ear is not an issue.

We also appreciate it when we buy feeders with tags like this. We've identified sellers that we'd love to have more calves from in the future that way, and on the flip side, we've identified some that we would not. LOL

But getting back to topic, we do put them in the chute to install the tags. ;-)

Comment

We sometimes vaccinate in the alley, but find it a little dangerous leaning over the top - and sometimes the cows just keep their head down, which makes it almost impossible to reach the neck. And then they get pooped on by the cow in front of them = dirty needle. We try to keep the stress down as much as possible. We just purchased a Morand squeeze with neck extender, and are still getting used to it. Catching the head and then having the animal back up to catch the shoulder is slow.
            We have had very good luck with the Ketchum tags - only lost 1 in over 17 years of use. All the cows have a Ketchum tag - they receive it as confirmed bred replacement heifers. We have had problems with the tags not properly curling when applied. You have to look to make sure the end has curled around or they won't stay in. A small adjustment on the tag that is to be applied sometimes needs to be made. Just a little wider or narrower.

I'm curious about the bud box. I suppose this is something Bud Williams has developed. I'll look around on the internet for it.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...