• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Harper on the way out?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Harper on the way out?

Is there going to be a leadership change coming soon? Seems to me there is a growing sentiment that there just isn't enough charisma and people are not buying into the Mulroney style dictatorship thing happenning to grant a majority and I think if an election were called today they wouldn't even be the government and that's against Jack Layton (nothing more needs to be said) and Micheal Ignatieff who Canadians barely know.

Seems to me Mr. Bernier from Quebec is ignoring the gag order by mr. Harper and speaking out on issues, Quebec conservatives will not vote for a western conservative leader, and others including "Tommy" Wall sorry Brad Wall from saskatchewan are thinking there ego's have swelled enough that saskatchewan is just too small. Many people think the potash speach was his pitch to challenge Harper's authority. Do you think they can get a majority with Harper?

I personally think No. As much as I dislike Quebec the wa wa cry baby state, the only way to win their is with one of their own. Then I think its a hands down country wide thing. The liberanos and NDP under both leaders are dead in the water even if the elitists in Toronto media think other wise.

Comment

I should have clarified a bit more. When Harper came along compared to Chretien etc. it was a breath of fresh air, this average appearing guy that never made a fool of himself or the country, and on that part still is respectable. But I think huddling yourself in the back room of parlaiment making all the decisions whether right or wrong is causing alot to take a second look. People do not want Chretien or Mulroney dictatorship to return.

Alienating the farmers of Ontario and those of us out here by not coming up with a clear effective ag policy for disasters etc. Their flop of handling the cattle and grain farmer income crises really has and I think will cost them even more next time around, it is a simple fix reset the margins make their BS agrivation actully work.

Really failing to open up choice in marketing, and on that note will a political leader from Quebec in the Conservative party really get rid of the CWB? Will westerners support a Quebecor, if your western mps have no say when you have a western leader how the hell will they have a say with a Quebec leader?

And then there is the fighter jet bungle, billion dollar tea party g20, obsession with gun control and not dealing with struggling middle class. These issues are really starting to take hold imho!

Comment

Harper is decent.

Decency is elusive in politics.

The remarkable non-remarkable trait about Haper is that he is, and remains himself. He's decent.

He doesn't court the press; rather, he looks upon them to report the news, not BE the news. That's decent.

Harper treats each and every Canadian with respect. I know him personally, and have observed his ways. He's decent.

Harper is not always right, but he bats a fairly good average.

And you have to give him credit: He didn't marry Margaret. Pars

Comment

Given that the normal state of government is bad we can be thankful for Stephen Harper. None of the opposition leaders are fit to be near office let alone in it. Trouble is that many are dependant on government for their living and as such Harper will never get a majority any ways so hopefully he simply gets on with the show and doesn't get too obsessed with having a majority.

Comment

Given that the normal state of government is bad we can be thankful for Stephen Harper. None of the opposition leaders are fit to be near office let alone in it. Trouble is that many are dependant on government for their living and as such Harper will never get a majority any ways so hopefully he simply gets on with the show and doesn't get too obsessed with having a majority.

Comment

Harper is decent if you like small tent, far right Conservatives who are willing to let ideology trump common sense. Almost all the progressives that were once part of the Progressive Conservatives have left. This has ensured that Harper remains in a minority, which is more than he deserves. How long do you think his Cabinet and Party is going to put up with his ultra controlling micromanagement? His image as a brilliant political strategist has faded. He has had to resort to proroguing to avoid defeat. The only reason he is still around is the Liberals have struggled with Leadership. For a guy who once believed in grass roots politics as part of the Reform party, he now prefers his way or the highway, elitist, dictatorial control! Hardly the trait of a successful politician. If all he can do is another minority his days are numbered.

Comment

Layton is decent if you like small tent, far left New Democrats who are willing to let ideology trump common sense

Ignatieff is decent if you like smelly tents, ideology-for-sale-Liberals who are willing to barter common sense

Comment

harper is a good strategist but can't hide his true self from the public for any length of time. his cynical view of power always comes out. the cons need somebody smoother and more human to lead. harper is getting smellier by the month. it's showing that harper has no vision for the country; only an ideology that probably can't sustain itself.

Comment

"can't hide his true self"

You've got to be kidding!

Being Harper is the Harper brand:

He is himself!

Now,you may not like who he is ...but he is himself. He is his own man.

And he wears it quietly. No ado.

He's REAL
                    Eat your heart out. LOL Pars

pS Gad, you're sour

Comment

Parsley, after 5 years Harper has not been able to attract very many centre voters in this country. Why? Because he is always playing to his Conservative core support in Western, Rural, and Suburban Canada.
                      Canada is mostly an urban country with centre left views on most issues. If you add the greens, NDP, Liberal, and Bloc together plus all the alienated people who don't vote the only reason Harper is around is the centre left is divided politically. Most advanced industrialized countries use some form of proportional representation. The first past the post system we use in Canada is archaic and doesn't give most voters a fair voice. That is one of the reasons many people are not engaged politically and voter turnout is relatively low.

Comment

parsley i'm not sour but i'm not a cheerleader for any of them. the main reason i can't like harper is that he reminds me of bush senior running for his second term. the american electorate could see he had no vision for his country, he just wanted to be president for another four years. he handed that election to clinton by not being able to show he had accomplished anything. harper has increased spending and run up the deficit and debt so he is easy pickings when you compare his record to his rhetoric.

Comment

Harpers hands are tied behind his back through a minority gov't.He does have a vision to take our country to the next level up.We have the resources[oil,natural gas,nickel,iron ore,coal,potash,uranium,agriculture,etc.]to make canada the most powerful country in the world.Harper under a majority gov't would have the opportunity to make us all proud.

Comment

Bigsteve. Harper is in favour of letting shareholders of foreign controlled companies take control of our resources. Once the bounty runs out then what? What about a diversified economy based on long term sustainable industries not finite resources? Norway for example has over 400 billion in its "heritage fund" compared to 380 million in Saskatchewan's. What happened to all the revenue from potash, oil, gas and uranium? Lets give it all away as soon as possible. Party On!

Comment

Chucky,research and technology is going to make oil and natural gas use-near to obsolete in 50-70yrs.Hydrogen is on its way,all culivated plants will have the ability to fix there own nitrogen,hence-no need for nitrogen fertilizer,hence no need for natural gas.Nuclear powered electrical genorators will be the norm in 40yrs.Lets use our resources to create wealth now or we are going to miss the boat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...