• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you need a single desk to advocate?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you take away the government guarantees and the cwb looks for outside financing (farmer or otherwise), you have effectively created another grain company. But one that can not compete because it has no facilities other than that special arrangement with Adrian/mission terminal.

The sooner they are gone the better. I can take my business/grain to PH, viterra, cargill, Patterson, pioneer, adm, conagra,ldm etc. And probably have better conversation than with a cwb fbr and make more money.

Comment

Just curious what the response would be if you asked the CWB director candidates what there vision and strategic direction would be for a CWB without government guarantees.

Would it be highlighting how bad the current federal government is (keeping in mind it was the previous government of the day that put government guarantees on the WTO table) and from there lobbying the government to change the position/retain.

Or providing a vision for a different type of CWB that can survive in this new world.

Comment

I asked Oberg the othe day why durum initials were not set as high as off board prices or at least as high as last years initials.

He said " this years prices are better".

I asked him to prove that and he directed me to the PRO's. I told him the pro's mean nothing because in 3 months the cwb might be lowering them as they did last year.

The cwb has no vision. Period.

They could not see the durum crop was pooched from the start this year and thats with a director from the major durum growing area sitting on the board. Larry Hill was the chair and has farmed longer than I have and could not realize that seeding durum in late may/june was not going to turn out well. And could he not see the durum going into the off board market?

Absolute incompetence.

Comment

bucket:

Could you drop me a line at cwb@depape.ca with your phone number - if you don't mind me knowing your true identity.

You've piqued my interest on a couple of things - I've got a couple of questions.

If you don't mind.

Comment

This is a great article. There is no
            correlation between operating a single
            desk and being a good producer advocate.

I also think a lot of money, time and
            energy gets waste with so many different
            crop groups with varying approaches
            working in isolation. Producers, who
            they are all working on behalf of, grow
            a mix of crops every season that cross
            the commodity classes.

So it only seems like common sense to me
            that one organization lobbying for all
            Prairie grain, oilseed, pulse and
            special crops at the same time would be
            the most effective. Like what Ontario
            did.

www.farmlinksolutions.ca

Comment

John DePape is entitled to his own facts.

Comment

cchurch

Why don't you do some of your own research. If you find out something different than what Depape says, let the rest of know. Then we can have a discussion. The cwb will confirm they are paying demurrage on the durum boat.

They just won't tell you how much it is costing.

The sad part is that the cwb could have had the durum at the port instead of in farmers bins. That is if they chose to do their jobs.

Would it not make more sense to pay the farmer for his grain instead of a boat owner demurrage??

Please think, god gave you a brain.

Comment

cchurch:

what facts are those that you question?
                  Where ever possible, I will provide my source. 90% of the time, I use the CWB Annual Reports.

Comment

Bucket you make a lot of sense and I like the way you think. This is where I will differ from you a little.. In my opinon take away the governments guarantees and the cwb would have an opportuniy or could become a grain company. WHY would The cwb need facilities to Handel grain in western Canada. They already pay very lucratively grain company's to handel and store grain. Why would this so called partnership just disappear. Just yesterday, I was in 2 machinery dealers and a multi location independent fertilizer chemical dealership. NONE of these 3 stores own or make the product they handle or sell. These are just independent business people who with some funds, created a successful business partnership to handel product on someones behalf. There are thousands more of there very examples of which business people became very succesful and wealthy! All that is required is sucessfull "2 way" working parnership.

Comment

The CWB says they couldn't survive as a voluntary marketing agency because they don't have facilities and would have to rely on the grain companies to handle their grain. Why would they handle the CWB's grain, they ask?

I'll tell you how/why.

Let's say in a voluntary CWB environment, the CWB gets 1 million tonnes committed to them by its supporters. How do you think a grain company would react to the CWB asking for grain handling services for 1 million tonnes? I can tell you - they would fall over themselves to do lock up that business.

Now figure the CWB has 2 mmt - or 10 mmt committed to it. Now that's market clout.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...