• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don Baron: Gentleman, Writer, Friend

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don Baron: Gentleman, Writer, Friend

Deane sent me this from Texas: I was very honored to call him a friend:

Baron, Donald Robert, of Regina, passed away peacefully on November 13, 2010 in Regina, Sask.

He is survived by his son Deane and daughter-in-law Lynn, and by his grandchildren Jennifer, aged 23 and Scott, aged 17 who live in Dallas, Texas. Don was predeceased by his loving wife, Irene in 2005. Don will be missed by his sister Ruth and brother-in-law Don MacDonald, and by Ruth’s daughter Margaret, her husband Peter Steiche and their three children, as well as Ruth’s son Keith Field, his wife Leslie and their three children. And he will be missed by his and Irene’s many friends.

Don grew up in Ottawa but spent all his spare time on his Uncle Harold Hammond’s farm in Quyon, Que. He graduated from Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph in 1949 and then joined the editorial staff of Farmer’s Magazine, out of Toronto.

He married Irene Jones in 1952 and later that year they moved to Winnipeg when he was named assistant editor, Country Guide.

He was named Country Guide field editor in 1954 and moved to Calgary, reporting on western Canada. He was moved to Toronto as Eastern Field Editor and traveled to Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes reporting agricultural events and developments. He was named Editor in 1962 and returned to Winnipeg.

He was named Head, Agriculture and Resources TV, for CBC in 1975 working out of Toronto. He was named Executive Director of the groundbreaking Palliser Wheat Growers’ Association, in 1979 working out of Regina. From 1983 to 1990 he served as speechwriter for Premier Grant Devine in Saskatchewan and as Chief of Staff for Hon. Joan Duncan.

Don was elected President of the Agricultural Institute of Canada in 1974, and President, Canadian Farm Writers’ Federation. He served as president of the Ontario Farm Writers’ Association, the Manitoba Farm Writers’ Association, and the Canadian Farm Writers’ Association.

He was named a Commissioner of Enquiry into Vegetable Marketing in Manitoba and a member of Manitoba’s Commission on Targets for Economic Development. He served as an elder at First Presbyterian Church in Regina.

Don’s writing has appeared in Maclean’s, Toronto Star and other publications. He has written four books. CANADA’S GREAT GRAIN ROBBERY, published in 1997 tells the little known story of how grain politics was dramatically reshaping the prairies and Canada. JAILHOUSE JUSTICE, published in 2001 tells the strange story of Canada’s Wheat Board monopoly which denies prairie farmers the freedom to market their own wheat and barley. His BATTLEGROUND book tells the story of the Grant Devine Saskatchewan government from 1982 to 1991, and his BEYOND ROGUES’ HARBOR book tells the epic tale of an AngloCanadian pioneer family (some of Don’s ancestors are among them) tracing its roots from England, Scotland and Ireland. Some of these settlers homesteaded first in Ottawa Valley, then in Western Ontario and later in Western Canada.

Visitation will be held from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 19, 2010 in Speers Funeral Chapel, 2136 College Avenue Regina. Celebrate Don’s great life at his Funeral at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 20, 2010 at First Presbyterian Church, 2170 Albert Street, Regina.
    To leave an online message of condolence please visit www.speersfuneralchapel.com.

With love, Parsley

Thanks for the sad news. I met Don in 1981, and
    had spent some time with him over the years.

He was a great story teller and writer.... a history
    buff, raconteur and believer in individual freedom.

His disdain for inconsistency, hypocrisy, and lack of
    conviction is clearly evident in his books.

My condolences to his family.

He will be missed.

Bill

Comment

A Decent Man

Gracious.

Isn't that the adjective that comes to mind when you think about Don? Well, maybe gentleman. Does that describe him better?

I found him delightful.

A positive man, always filled with tidbits of "newsy stuff", but never a stuffed shirt, Don and I enjoyed many special times, but then we laughed together, and wrote together, and even plotted together when he was writing his Wheat Board books.

Don Baron grabbed life by its' pen and scrawled the same life-message in every neighborhood he ever lived in:
      "Live and let live", and "If you want a friend, be a friend", and "Enjoy each moment," and "Respect your fellow man."

My very favourite part of Don, the part that stuck out like a third eye, was that he was such a decent man.

Deeply believing in the value of each individual, he treated each individual with decency, no matter who they were, or what they believed in, or what they looked like.

I hate to make him sound perfect, and he'd hate it more, so I guess I can say when he and Irene invited us in for dinner, and after he edged me over to his new computer he'd been trying to teach to lead as one would teach a bull to lead, I thought I glimpsed characteristic signs of his terrible twos suddenly appearing... but were then suddenly gone.

Don was a treasure, a decent man who belonged to all of Canada, and he will be remembered.

Parsley

Comment

God Bless Don, may he rest in Peace.

All the best to his family and friends in this time of grieving.

An honest man with a legacy of love for his country and fellow Canadians.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...