• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Central Sask Land

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Central Sask Land

I have a few friends in this area and from what I have been told, good land sells in the $80,000 - $140,000 medium quality at $35,000 - $80,000, and poor cattle type land in the $20,000 - $35,000 range. From what I am told , under proper fertility and good managment themselves and neighbors they are getting yields that are close to their better land. My questions is buy two $60,000 quarters and or one $120,000? Assuming 260 acres on the poorer land and 160 on the good, and a 40 bushel crop on the good land and 30 on the poor, i would grow 7800 bushels on the poorer land and 6400 on the better land.I dont own land in this area but am thinking of purchasing.Any thoughts?

If it got seeded at all, 17 bu #3 canola, 23 bu feed wheat on the good land this year. Wetter than spring runoff when it snowed. A foot already, 5 months to go. Are you still interested?

Comment

Good rule of thumb. Is there anyone still living there,(The PFRA manager doesn't count) or have they all gone broke and moved to town?
      There's a reason that land is "cheap".

If you ever get a chance to improve on land, take it. Your variable costs are all the same, as are most of the fixed. That being said you can pay too much for land.

Like someone said in a previous thread.
      Competition keeps everyone in check.

Remember everyone's cost of production, and tolerance for risk is different

Comment

East Central SK? North of the Qu Appelle? They are pulling your leg, and or must be wanting to sell for a profit over what they paid.

Comment

He means areas like Humboldt Melfort Tisdale Cupar Balcarres Yorkton East ETc.

Comment

All these areas are inhabited, lots of 4- 6 quarter cow/calf small grain farms.
            I know the whole east central sask area was wet last year and much of the land I am talking about wasnt seeded.The yields are from from 2005-2009.All of it has some type of limitation, sloughs, stones, some gravel/sand, that is why it is cheaper, but with some drainage and bush removal, some of these guys have made this productive land.

Comment

Most farms are 2000ac farms, not to many with cattle any more. Most land is productive with pockets of poor land or cattle land. It is all refected in the assessment, land with assessment over 40,000 new assessment is worth buying and und 40000 is not. I have a section too far from my home base that I am concidering selling. Assessment over 50,000 per quarter. 630 cultivated acres. Canola yields average 40 bus/ac, oats 130bus/ac,wheat 50bus/ac.I usually use 75 lbs/N,25lbs phos,15 lbs/sulfer,15 lbs potash, half of this for oats. Land like this I would start at $75000/quarter any takers.

Comment

Look at the guys around what you want to sell do they have any land closer to you...look for a swap deal??

Comment

gust

You make a good point. I watch so called farmers move into an area. They drive by the best run farms in the area, don't have the brains to stop and ask local farmers why they don't buy the land for the price they are willing to pay. Then everyone thinks their land is worth outrageous money to grow 40 bpa of feed wheat.

The next guy comes along with 80-90 grand a quarter - I'm gone.

Comment

You would have sold your land and bought, er, ...GM shares? Pars

What is real and is not paper is a good thing to own right now. Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...