• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB and Young Farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB and Young Farmers

After reading comments about the three young farmers at the C to C that were board supporters, I took a look around our area (SW Saskatchewan) and did a quick count of anti-CWB young farmers (within a 20 mile radius). Here is what I came up with:

Farmer A - 32 year old farmer cropping 6,000 acres on a family farm. Very involved with management aspects of the farm. Progressive farmer. Has a 4 year business degree from U of S.

Farmer B - 33 year old farmer cropping 11,000 acres on a family farm. Progressive farmer. Very involved in managment aspects of the farm. Has a 4 year Ag degree from U of S.

Farmer C - 32 year old farmer cropping 4,000 acres on a family farm. Progressive farmer. Very involved in management aspects of the farm.

Farmer D - 26 year old farmer cropping 7,500 acres on family farm. Progressive farmer. Very involved in management aspects of the farm.

Farmer F - 26 year old farmer cropping 8,000 acres on a family farm. Progressive farmer. Very involved in management aspects of the farm.

Farmer G - 29 year old farmer cropping 10,000 acres on a family farm. Progressive farmer. Very involved in management aspects of the farm.

Farmer H - 36 year old farmer cropping 8,000 acres on a family farm. Progressive farmer. Very involved in managment aspects of farm.

I could go one, but might point is that there are a lot of good, young and intellegent farmers out there that do not want to be shackled by the CWB.

We are the future of farming in this country. We have the ability to market our own grain and be profitable. We do it with peas, lentils, flax, canola, feed barley, corriander, chickpeas, oats and other specialty crops and do it quite well.

Wheat and durum are a very important crop in this area for our rotations. Yet we cringe when we have to pencil them in. Why? Because we are left in the dark by the CWB. We don't get proper price signals, the PPO's are an absolute joke and the "premiums" just aren't there.

We grow inferior varieties to those of which my American farmer friends grow and yet don't get paid for our superior quality, but yet have to live with the yield disadvantage.

You just have to shake your head when you look over a few provinces and see farmers our age selling wheat off-board and not going to jail for it (in the same country!).

Farmer E - So pi$$ed off at the CWB that he wouldn't let me publish his information.

Comment

lakenheath,

Well Said.

Much to be done!

Comment

SickLake - Good, young and intellegent farmers. Laugh Out Loud.....

Easy to dat when yer plow is a pencil & you's got Daddy's ChequeBook. Everyone of dem on yer napkin list had Daddy write da Cheque. Dese guys ain't got a clue on how to run a ranch......

First generation buys it, second builds it, tird expands it, fourt looses it. Seens it time & time agin'......

Comment

Lake ,F.Y.I.No farmer has ever gone to jail for selling wheat, although f/truckers for justus have been arrested by customs for taking wheat across the border without a permit. I am sure no one here wants to post misinformation. Interesting how this myth is perpetuated.

Comment

BTO - You are almost not worth replying to, but for anyone who might be sucked in by your ignorant comments....I will reply.

One farmer on my "napkin list" operates half the farm, writes his own cheques, makes all decisions for his acres and owns the machinery 50/50 with his dad. And many others have acquired land on their own or are either self-made men.

They will all be fine operators on their own one day. The farms are more efficient and profitable then any previous generation. We respect our prior generations and thank them for the opportunity we have.

Your comments 99% of the time have no logic and are completely uneducated assertions. An ounce of wisdom is a dangerous thing with your kind.

I could only imagine the operation you run. I am sure we would all get a chuckle out of it.

Comment

I would like to know what you mean by "progressive farmer"?

Comment

Agstar77....I am so sorry for posting erroneous information.

I guess I will just apply for a permit and then take my grain across the border and sell it.

Then I might get arrested. They will fine me, and I will just decide not to pay the fine and continue hauling grain across the border.

Just like parking tickets I will let them pile up on the dash of my grain truck.

But I guess since you said I will not go to jail for this....I will continue to haul grain into the U.S. from this day forward with no worries.

Thank-you Agstar for freeing my farm from the shackles of the CWB.

Comment

Lifer - Progressive: favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are.

Pretty straight forward I think.....

Comment

"Progressive: favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are."

That would mean Parley is "progressive" 'cause she wants to change and reform the way farmers farm, back to the way they did in 1924 ;-)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y24IOEs_tw&feature=related

This is how I picture Burbert and BTOfarmall operating together.....

And I am not bashing this. This just how I picture them.

Comment

I think Agstar77 was trucking for them that day.....

Comment

Thank you for clarifying. It may be my own way of reading or hearing things. I have heard the term "progressive farmer" when referring to a farmer that is more open to use of new technologies.

I have heard the term used as being good and one opposed to change as bad.

Comment

I heard that. LOL Pars

Comment

What age group is a young farmer in?
                              Under 65
                              Under 60
                              Under 50
                              Under 40
                              Under 30

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List