• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What needs to be done to get Bill C619 passed?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harper thinks he`s the king now, what would he do with a majority?? The rest don`t know there`s a road west of Thunder Bay. We in the west have no real voice and never will in this system.

Comment

I'll admit I'd be the first in line for admittance to the cynic’s picnic, and this bill's chances of reaching Royal Accent are slim. But so was the Bill to repeal the long gun registry and it came up one vote shy on second reading because Iggy whipped the vote and Taliban Jack strong armed just enough of his MP's to sink the bill.

It may be a day late and a dollar short, but the strategy seems quite sound. As you have to hand it to the Conservatives that they are at least trying to do what it takes to get legislation passed within this minority parliament.

Typically votes on private members bills are not whipped votes thus allowing MP from all parties to vote as they wish. Generally in the past private members bill were brought forward by opposition members of a majority government and thus the low success rate for the passing of private members bills.

Very seldom would a member of the governing party bring forward a private members bill because if it had the support of the leader or PM all he would have to do is whip the vote to guarantee its passage.

So unless Iggy, Jack, and the Bloc dude whip the vote, there is a reasonable chance to sway enough opposition MP's to vote for this bill.

Let's even throw in an arena for Quebec to sweeten the pot for the Blocies.

Anyway don't count it out entirely as I know there are a number of eastern Liberals who can be swayed by the argument that it is un-Canadian and unjust for one set of Canadians (Western wheat growers) from being treated differently from other Canadians (Eastern wheat growers)

Comment

Agree a bit Mr. Smith on this. I am growing very cynical about the CPC on this file. I'd be much more convinced that they were serious if this was a government bill instead of a private members bill. However, if we could manage to get all the CPC MP's to publicly state their postion with respect to marketing choice, maybe we will have moved the ball down the field a few yards even if its not a touchdown. At least during the next election they won't be able to weasel around, and then should they form government, their record will be public. We can then keep their feet to the fire. Should they actually have a majority, then we have their public comments to hold them to account with.

Comment

One more thing. I believe most, if not all CPC MP's are supporters of choice to at least some extent. However, Manitoba MP Inky Mark was on the WRONG side. He resigned his seat and the CPC elected a new MP in a by-election. Does anyone there know where this guy stands? I'm hearing he is maybe no better than Inky Mark. Anyone from there know?

Comment

"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve." -George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I wondered where Mr Sopuck stands on the
              CWB, and bill C-619 in particular, so I
              spoke with him. He told me that he
              believes it should be the farmers'
              choice. (That's good, right?) Sadly he
              also tells me that from the numerous
              constituents he has spoken to the vast
              majority are in favor of the CWB.
              Seriously? I think he's mistaken, or are
              there actually only a handful of farmers
              who would like to have choice and see
              bill C-619 pass? I truly believe that
              there must be more farmers who would
              love to enjoy the same choices as
              Eastern Canada, it can't be just me and
              a handful of others. And if there are
              only a dozen of us, why not let us out
              of the CWB if we want? They won't even
              notice the difference.

One thing I wonder about the vote
              regarding C-619, why wouldn't the rest
              of Canada vote yes? It's only MB, SK, AB
              and part of BC who are in the CWB, the
              rest have a competitive advantage
              because they actually DO have choice.
              How can the rest of the country demand
              that they have choice, but if you're a
              farmer on the prairies you should have
              to abide by a completely different set
              of rules? If the rest of the country
              wants to keep us trapped in the CWB,
              then perhaps they should all be forced
              to join as well. I don't understand, if
              it's such a great deal for us, why isn't
              the rest of Canada begging to be a part
              of the CWB? Maybe they enjoy having
              personal property rights, and the
              ability to decide what to do with their
              grain that they work so hard to grow.

Comment

Tucker,

This is the point that you make very effectively.

We take the moral high ground.

I CAN NOT believe if this were an election issue... that the Conservatives wen to the polls on... that it would indeed win a majority government on this issue alone!

SM5 and the CWB do not hold the average urban Canadian to ransom... and most common sense Canadian can smell the CWB rat 1000 miles away!

If the CWB had any intelligence... they themselves would be giving no-cost export licenses... TODAY.

Comment

Tucker, that's not good news. I have to believe you are right though. If Sopuck actually has spoken to more of his constituents who are opposed to choice, ask him if they are farmers. Ask him if he did his asking in the line up at the elevator? Or was it the senior citizens supper? Sounds like your guy is already out of touch and he's only just gotten there!

You'd better rally your neighbours to make sure he hears from real farmers. Phone calls, cards and letters.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...