• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aristotle Oberg

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aristotle Oberg

Good ship Lollipop
    Why isn’t agriminister Ritz doing his duty?

It took just hours before the bizarre scheme of the Canadian Wheat Board directors to buy two lake ships for $65 million of farmers’ money came to the attention of the House of Commons. Agriminister Ritz criticized the decision but gave no indication that he would overrule it. He correctly said it was “an irresponsible scheme that puts farmers’ money at risk”, and added that he has “con-stantly told the Wheat Board that farmers’ money in the pool accounts is off limits.” The minister has clearly recognized his duty but is not carrying it out. Wheat Board chairman Oberg sneered that Ritz’s comments were “uninformed”, adding that “Minister Ritz can say what he wants.”
    The Board posted ‘information’ on its web site about the ‘business case’ for buying the ships, but it simply re-stated what it previously said to justify the decision.
    The main western grain organizations are furious, as are farmers who post blog comments. Only the Grain Growers of Canada picked up on the outrageous falsehood of the Board’s claim that farmers will be the owners of the ships (inasmuch as they are not owners of the Wheat Board), a point that should be much more stressed by the monopoly system’s opponents. The GGC said it is a good time to re-assess the future structure of the Board, possibly morphing it into a farmer-owned co-op.
    Those few who supported the decision did so with skimpy arguments, comparing the purchase of ships with spending on new computers. Computers are vital to the Board’s core functions while ships are not even peripheral.
    An issue also arose over whether farmers should have been consulted beforehand, possibly by means of an opinion poll. This the present directors would not dream of. They think that under the representative system which elected them they are empowered to make any decision. If farmers have elected directors that are capable of such irresponsibility, they are in the same position as voters in general, who usually get the government they deserve. Others said the financial entanglement was designed to make the Board harder to disband. This is a chimera because given the $4 billion or so of Board finances backstopped by the federal treasury. selling a couple of slightly-used ships is a small matter.
    In time this may prove to be the Board’s unravelling. Directors who have so little understanding of what farmers want and will tolerate will run it into the ground unless it is rescued by dual-market legislation.

Looks like Morris from Agriweek gets it!

NO SURPRISE!!!

Comment

And since he mentioned the idea of an opinion poll, one is in process right now.

I launched the poll last Saturday stating I would ask Ian White for his response to the results (up to that point) during his presentation at the Barley Growers Convention.

The votes are still coming in but at the time of Ian White's presentation, the results were:

Approve.......43 (7%)
      Disapprove..547 (91%)
      Don't know..10 (2%)

Since then I've received another 20 or so votes - only one approved.

So far this survey has over 600 respondents. The CWB's farmer surveys get the opinion of 900 "permit book holders. My goal is to get this survey over 1,000.

If you haven't given your opinion yet, you still have time, and all opinions are urged to contribute.

The question is:

Do you support the CWB's purchase of lakers as reported by the CWB on Feb 8th, 2011?

Answer yes, no or don't know by email to:

cwb@depape.ca

Ian said he would be interested in the the results (and that the CWB would likely do their own survey).

Comment

The CWB will and the question will be:

Should not the Cwb have not purchased the laker boats not at this time when the purchase to offer boats are not bought previous to the decision but after prior decisions when they were not decided upon to buy?

You know, like most of their poll questions.

Comment

LOL wd9

The answer is 42

Comment

de-poop you can't ask you buddies questions and call it a poll

Comment

stubble are you implying his poll is rigged? What matters is his poll is freely open for "EVERYONE" to respond to. Why not get all your commie buddies to answer his poll? If not, zip it....

Comment

Check your calculator farmranger

The answer is purple.

Comment

Why not stubble? That's how wheat board directors get elected.

Comment

I agree with wd9 and stubblejumper.

A poll with any credibility is taken by a unbias third party and asked in laymans language.

If the NFU did the poll they would get a different result. If the lawyers at the CWB wrote the poll the answer could be conscrewed to suit thier needs.

Comment

FarmRanger, i see you are a scholar of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Comment

Time to order up a round of Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters!

Comment

Since we're on the topic of the wheat board and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy let me cite a quote from The Restaurant at the end of the Universe. Which nicely sums up the thinking of the monos.

``I wonder who this ship belongs to anyway,'' said Arthur.

``Me,'' said Zaphod.

``No. Who it really belongs to.''

``Really me,'' insisted Zaphod, ``look, property is theft, right? Therefore theft is property. Therefore this ship is mine, OK?''

Comment

Please explain?

Comment

dschill,

Get them to stop telling us false info... and stealing our money and padding the pooling accounts.

This is not an emotional block...

For a commercial grower... it is the fact that the monkeys are running our marketers... and have not a clue how to effectively manage our assets... that we must entrust to these folks that do not have any experience at building assets for which they have been responsible for... that have been entrusted to them.

How much asset building did Chair OBERG do on the board of directors of AWP and Agricore United????

What has Rod Flaman done... that would lead anyone to the understanding that he understands financial management?

Stewart Wells has built the NFU into a powerhouse that has a strong influence... on who?

What has ward w done but make blunder after blunder... and he has been in charge for how many years?

dschill... this is not a hate/love thing... we NEED these people to wake up and start working FOR 'designated area' grain growers!

Why do you not get it?

The CWB has a $30/t lower cost base to west coast ports... and should be able to beat the US system... cash to cash... any day of the week... with the quality we can grow!

Why do you not get it???

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...