• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unseeded acres Crop insurance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unseeded acres Crop insurance

Anyone know the details of the 70 dollars for unseeded, as to how the formula will work. Kevin Hursh appears to be suggesting possibly the 30 dollar top up recieved last year is out the window so does that mean they actually are lowering the payout from possible 80 to 70?

Hey riders. Are you talking about them dropping it for new crop?

Comment

I guess I'll go ahead, since I know way too much about this particular program. Crop insurance is calculated with a deductible, based on average seeded acres. I seed everything, so my deductible was a few bucks an acre. So I got about 46 bucks form crop insurance, and 30 from the unseeded top up. Good golly, if they remove that extra 30 bucks, I would have run out of money last july 2nd, instead of the 12th.

Comment

Hey Freewheat,

They announced that the 50 bucks unseeded is going to go to 70 bucks, but hursh's daily comment seems to suggest that the 30 bucks is no longer on the table. So in reality if that is true the wet acres will recieve potentially only 70 bucks (but not) instead of potentially 50 30, as last year. Also the formula is supposed to be changed, but no details. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm that this is actually less money than last year or not.

On a side note, previously you mentioned about your margin raised in agri-instability because of increasing your acres. We all hope that it works out for you in a positive way! But for the folks, lets say that farmed 2000 or 3000 acres etc. 5 years ago and went through the same crop losses as yourself,but because of more acres lost more than yourself in total, do you think it is fair that your margin is raised exponentially because of increase in acres and those farmers that did not increase acres their margin is still in the shitter?

I am sure you can handle your increased acres effectively, but what about people that cannot, should they be rewarded with an increase in margin simply because of more acres when they have not proven they can farm those acres and the guys that stayed the same because that is what they can handle do not get a margin bump?

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I really hope that you got the increase, and it actually results in some extra money for you! Have you been able to get an answer yet from anyone at the agri lottery office? Sure looks like that was money well spent moving all those people to Melville, when they couldn't answer the questions in Winnipeg, didn't expect the limo ride to Melville would improve anything.

Comment

Hey riders,

I just heard the announcement too. I see what your getting at. so rather than a potential 77 or whatever, it is now going to be 70 less deductible I presume? Brilliant!!! Though not a surprise.

Regarding the structure change, it would affect anyone who increased acres by I think 10 or greater per cent, in any of the last 5 years. I hardly know anyone who has not grown by some ammount. It is not an exponential increase in reference margin, but a direct one to reflect what your margin would have been those years.

regarding whether it is fair, and whether he acres can be handled? i hear you loud and clear. i hope they would check out machinery on farms that increase from say 2000 to 4000, to make sure they have what it takes and are not milking the system.

Also remember, I am in an area that in 2006 seeded 10 percent, 2007 less than half, and 2010 none. So my margins will reflect that apparently. Not many areas have had 3 of the last 5 as tiny margin years. So my normal year margin gets dropped, they drop my pathetic near negative margin, and the three left are very sad indeed. For me it may be fair. But in cases where guys took on an unreasonable amount of land, and never actually had the machines to do it, and never had a full expense year to back their claims up, yes I see a problem.

As far as handling the acres, when one seeds nothing, it hardly matters if they have a pair of oxen or 17 stx 535's and 17 84 foot seedmasters! It tells how wet it was!!!!

NO!!!! I still have not found out from the beggars what the acres they have for me are!!!! Unbeleivable, eh?

Comment

Totally agreed freewheat! Can't understand how or why they cannot give you an answer in like 2 minutes or less, but just shows if they cannot answer that then how do they understand the complexity of the rest of our farms? Answer is they don't and it still depends on who at the office there gets your file as to what you will get or not, same old same old.
            Have a good one!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...