• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topic: Greed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola just been in a drop most likely speculators taking profit or loss, today it was down a bit but just recently up 7.5 dollars per ton from the day low. Then we think supply and demand is responsible for the price increase specs playing a part. Greed can be an emotion to get one in more trouble than gain. Maybe one should call it profit or loss taking. Greed can be your worst enemy.

Comment

I'm just glad that farmers could never be accused of being greedy.

I would be interested in being shown where farmers have been encouraged to over-produce.

It would seem to me that we just keep on producing regardless of price and then cry to the government to bail us out.

I think we need government intervention, but rather than stabilizing incomes, they need to enforce fair-market practices. Then the prices will takes care of themselves, won't they?

Comment

"I would be interested in being shown where farmers have been encouraged to over-produce.

It would seem to me that we just keep on producing regardless of price and then cry to the government to bail us out."

Wow, Do we keep on producing because we get bailed out all the time? Not sure what to say. We over produce cause that is how to make money, income minus expenses, bottom line.

Comment

Burnt perhaps the example you need would be the CWBs handling of the durum situation in western canada in 09-10 when they encouraged farmers to grow 6 million acres with an initial pro in Feb of 303/tonne only to slash it to 211/tonne for a final. Talk about encouraging overproduction. The useless CWB pro had farmers in many non-traditional durum growing areas completely fooled and voila, the market crashes.

Comment

highwayman,

I agree with your assesment of the PRO.

It sets the cash price. THis is crazy.

As I have said time after time... the CWB has it backwards.

Cash prices should create the pool. If they did transparency would indicate when the market had been supplied... and then the price drop accordingly when demand dropped.

REAL back to back SALES... not fictious CWB 'supply agreements' not worth the paper they were/are written on!

Comment

Lifer, you are an eloquent poster, but from our perspective untold opportunity for western agri-business has been quashed because of the oppression forced on Western farmers.

When the Crow was disenbowelled, the bureaucratic line was that it was done so value-added initiatives with cereals could expand on the prairies, and I believe that would have happened, but for one problem, one big problem - you and a lot of others know what it is. I tried everything short of selling my first-born to pin the CWB down on an export permit. Ever try pushing a rope?

Granted, there are some farmers who want to grow wheat and barley and are only too glad to have someone else move it off their farm, but that is not the case for a lot of forward-thinking progressive farmers.

I hope I live long enough to see what actually can develop right here, under the prairie sun. My father-in-law fought and sacrificed so we could be free, somehow I don't see this as freedom. Short and long of it! Maybe that's why so many doth protest.

Honestly, do you think this is freedom?

Comment

Sumdumguy, who do you mean when you write” from our perspective”.

I believe I have pushed enough rope and I don’t believe there is enough freedom with grain marketing in Western Canada. The way wheat is marketed in Western Canada has to change. From your post I get the impression you think I disagree with you. If that is the case I am a lot less eloquent then you gave me credit for .

Do I come off as sounding like I am against protesting? I am not. I am tired of whining. Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish between the two.
                In the mean time I will make as many choices as I can that will distance me from people that do not want to work with me. One of which is the current CWB.

Comment

Lifer,

Just like the post by Agstar77... I am too sick of 'complaining'.

If we could grow Soybeans and corn... like Manitoba can we, on our farm, would get out of wheat and barley.

We have been here since 1881AD.

We will NEVER surrender to these greedy people that manage an otherwise hard working organisation that had a hallmark of integrity in the not too distant past.

Like the decision on the CWB SHIPS. They go against everything the CWB SHOULD stand for... OBERG and the NFU... are greedy and have lost sight of who they must serve... every grower of wheat and barley in the 'designated area'... NOT just the folks who believe in the CWB 'single desk'!!!

Comment

Actually Tom doesn't the CWB need to serve its objective..... orderly grain marketing. Does it need to serve grain farmers?

Comment

Sorry Lifer, if I misunderstood your post. By us, I mean myself and my family. We have refused to be led around by the nose by the CWB and in 1980 we made the choice grow all special crops and feed wheat. I believe those who grow wheat and barley in the Western Region are subjecting themselves to slavery.

I also believe that the government could be much more proactive in making the rest of Canada undestand that this injustice exists. Maybe they could at least make a token effort by promoting studies that will test the Act. I'm sure, not every loophole was closed by the last regime. Correct me if I am wrong. The playing field is not level, which is mind boggling, in a country that prides itself on freedom and reward for effort.

Where are the Sawatzkys who will stand up and be heard? Maybe the new post about the outcry will go somewhere since some farmers are not too busy to get in there and support the cause. The organizers will need more than money to make it fly. They will need committment and organization.

Comment

Lifer,

"Actually Tom doesn't the CWB need to serve its objective..... orderly grain marketing. Does it need to serve grain farmers? "

Since as far as I can tell this objective has never been officially tested in court to say exactly what this truly means.

It could certainly be argued that lost $100's of millions... on rogue trades by CWB PPO and pool operations... is NOT 'orderly marketing'.

It also could be easily argued that since the rail car purchases were initiated by and financed by federal government backed loans... the greed of CWB directors in dipping into CWB pools to pay for ships that in no way are 'REQUIRED' for the marketing of our Wheat and barley...

WOULD as well question seriously the motivation and legality of recent CWB management decisions and spending of our grain assets.

aT THE VERY LEAST THE cwb CAN NOT... i SAY DOES NOT have the right to say they (the CWB) return all our funds/revenues EXCEPT marketing costs!!!

There is no less justification in buying ships... than buying trucks for growers or locomotives for all the railroads.

Comment

"I believe those who grow wheat and barley in the Western Region are subjecting themselves to slavery."

I have never experienced slavery. To me this is an exaggeration that doesn't help in the discussion. I agree there is injustice in grain marketing in western Canada. It is not even close to being compared to slavery.

Comment

Good points Tom. Whether the CWB's objective of orderly marketing is better defined or understood still doesn't say that it's purpose is to serve farmers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...