• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone see the Macleans article on the Canadian Economy?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see the Macleans article on the Canadian Economy?

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/03/16/the-canada-bubble/

They called Canada "Northern Tiger" but also say 11 years of commodity bull market has set us up for a bursting bubble.

Just wondering if you guys agree with this reporter?

I'm going to use the line that has gotten so many into financial trouble, "This time it is different". I'm not sure there can be a total collapse in commodities. There is just too much demand. That doesn't mean there can't be a short term pullback, and that may seem major at the time. But a total collapse? I don't think so.

Comment

I haven't looked at the pie graph in quite a while
      but don't remember commodities making up the
      biggest part of gdp.

We can and will(imo) have a major depression and
      strong commodity prices.

A bad bout of inflation,collapsed manufacturing
      base,depressed consumer spending,shrinking tax
      base,housing bubble burst,unfunded
      liabilities,government deficits and debt,consumer
      debt,uncle sam on life support.........etc,etc.

Comment

A well stocked pantry that includes tea, coffee, cocoa, and sugar, dishwasher soap(lol), lightbulbs, vinegar, and rice and is a better way to save money than a term deposit.
        ie Cocoa is already in short supply. Pars

Comment

Maybe hitachi moves some work to its plant in saskatoon. Not a bad thing.

Maybe the japanese re-evaluate having a manufacturing base over a fault line and move it to - I dunno - a stable country both politically and geographically - Canada.

People have to look for positive things to come out of disasters. Canada is a cherry of a country to move to.

Comment

Umm, maybe stupid question but wouldn't a depression weaken demand and take out the legs of strong commodity prices? How do you have a slowdown in the economy and have commodity prices resist the pull?

Comment

China, India. My concern is the amount of explorations happenning these days. Its like the whole world is getting explored for the any existable minable supplies of everything. Could give us a short term surprise oversupply, long term gold silver copper etc there is only so much of it.

Comment

Good question actually,the answer is "currency event".

Comment

So prices go up in nominal terms only?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...