• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sask crop ins

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sask crop ins

Saskatchewan farmers told gambling with the weather could prove costly
    The Canadian Press
    Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:31:00 CST Share |

REGINA - Farmers in Saskatchewan are being urged not to take chances with the weather this growing season and take out crop insurance.

Agriculture Minister Bob Bjornerud (BEHN'-rod) says there is a chance producers who do not have coverage this year will not be compensated if they are flooded out.

Bjornerud says every producer who suffered losses because of last year's heavy rain was bailed out.

But he's not offering any guarantee the same will hold this year, should crops meet with disaster again.

The minister says he would be concerned if he were a farmer who did not have insurance.

Bjornerud says about 30 per cent of farmers in Saskatchewan do not insure their crops. (CKOM

I think he must be related to George Bush, or not in touch with what is happenning, because he said no one is complaining about premium increases, I know for fact that is not true. Coverage in terms of bushels guaranteed has actually gone down for many people, so you could have the price 1000 bucks a bushel but if there is no chance or very little to be in a claim it's useless.

How brilliant would you have to be to go on air or in print and say that farmers are happy about increased premiums? What we do want is to seed and grow a crop, if we are fortunate enough to grow one this year, we don't want a big fu--ing bill for CRAP insurance dragging you down. Unbelievable and idiotic.

Comment

I know at least 200 acres will not ever get seeded here. Therefore, that will cover my premium.
      Premium only on rest if seeded.

The seeded will be covered at a historically high guarantee.

No brainer here guys.

Comment

If you are in area that will not seed, and you have no margin, yes guys will take it and should, not because it is a good program but just like election there is nothing else to go for.

But what is really being said here is in order to recieve any additional money if you flood you will have to buy this crap insurance. Now why is that? Any additional assistance will have no premium on it so why should someone have a gun to their head to buy this program if it doesn't fit their operation, to recieve any other assistance. The answer is people are pissed at the premium surge and the coverage. Coverage is only good if you use it, because of prices there is this glossy eyed view look what a great improvement crap insurance made, there was no improvement at all. You need to be in a claim to get any of that coverage and the bushel per acre coverage has in many cases actually gone down so less chance you will benefit from your coverage which includes most dramatic premium rise ever.

And so who will that premium increase affect the most????? The guys that were hit the hardest by flooding last year and in 2005-06 -07, because their yield coverage is crap and their premiums there are the highest.

Premiums in our area 24 to 29 dollars an acre for canola what is yours?

Comment

$12.79/acre for $302/ acre, 27.7 bu/acre.
          Got 17 bu last year of #3.

Comment

Are the premiums that dramatic different by risk areas? Do you know fjlp? your example is what discount? The examples our area are for 160 to 230 an acre coverage. Can you see now why us guys in the areas of hardest hit weather are pissed?

Comment

I don't think the premiums vary by region its all in the difference of yield history and discount.

I agree that in this year, 35.3 bus at $12.84 (50% discount) is a no brainer for my farm but understand others predicament.

If you have not been in crop insurance all the way through you won't have the yield history or the high discount making it less attractive.

My suggestion to those without reasonable coverage is take the insurance at 50% and start building your history. Like an earlier post states, a lot of acres may not be seeded so it could pay for itself quickly

Comment

Wow... I am stunned no insults... and you understand where we are coming from... well then mark it on the calendar I recognize your comments. That is what we are trying to do here, something that our ag groups, mla's, mp's, that are saying they represent us are not doing at all.

Some examples. The year it froze I think 2004 we had 40plus bushel stand and was appraised at 2.5 bushels so we burnt what we could some had to be swathed and put through because it just wouldn't burn. Our yield for that year was 2.5 not over 40 for crap insurance.

2005 20 plus inches of rain after august, Appraised at 43 to 49 bushels an acre varied field to field for extension, by spring all shelled appraised at 0, for yield it was 0 not 45.

So in those 2 years alone those represent roughly 1 tenth of our coverage so about 8 to 9 bushel per acre loss in coverage now. Those were declared disaster years as well as 06 and 07 and 02 drought. Disaster years where it is obvious that it was not the farmers fault at all should not be set at 0. Members of the Sask Party told our group that would change when they got into power, guess what we all can see it didn't.

We don't begrudge you guys that had the good weather and therefore the good coverage but our ag minister better not stand up and say he made positive changes because a 29 dollar an acre premium for 2/3 the coverage is no improvement. Not in the longshot.

I think maybe we need to look into this premium difference a bit more closely because either they are changing the formula for different areas because not adding up by what some others (not posting here) are saying they are paying.

Comment

Saskfarmer99 that is precisely what I did. When I started farming, the area average yields, (whatever that means) were so poor and my coverage was miniscule. I am now at the point where my yields are all my own yields. Coverage is very good. I kinda lucked out as 06 07 and 10 never seeded canola cuz I couldn't and so i have no dreadful yields from those years dragging me down. Patience and not claiming a year or two in there when I could have just to get a bushel or two extra, and my exp. discount is 50%.

My premium for 380 dollar coverage on IP canola is around 16 bucks.

It sure tells me what to grow this year, just gotta get it established somehow in the slop. That is another story. My wheat is around 220 coverage. No comparison.

Comment

Riders I hear you loud and clear. As I said, had I had the misfortune of being able to seed and get a pathetic yield in those years, my coverage and experience discount would have been much, much different. If agstability took the same factors into account, my margins would be there too. But that is another story. Give us some warmth, oh MR. Sun!!!

Comment

I know you understand freewheat, because mainly you have been there so to speak. That's why I know you understand what some others aren't, which is your looking at your 300 plus coverage and sincerely glad you have it and I don't even begrudge sk99 either, but let's say you seed end to end canola and with this wet soil in june july we get 25 inches of rain, your canola is a wipeout, you understand that yeah great big payout but the big ZERO yield stays for the next ten years, and premium starts on the way to rediculous.

Comment

At 80% coverage I am covered for 33.9 bu/ac. $369.12/ac. premium is $12.85. Experience discount is 50%. I think it is a good program.

Comment

Which leads to another point people talk about a program being market nuetral, when coverage is 300 plus for canola and 200 for wheat what will people seed? which if it works out will be more acres causing loss of price.

So basically why is wheat so shit for coverage? I thought crap insurance was improved for everything, it's only improved for some commodities because market price is up nothing that crap insurance did at all. Our minister is promoting the myth that they did something, they did f all except raise the premiums particularly for the areas that don't need a huge raise in premiums for comparitively less coverage.

Great coverage grrr! I have a list of people a mile long that when things (weather) was good crap insurance was better than sliced bread, but when the shit weather came and premiums rose and coverage tanked they soon seen the light, unfortunately some only saw water because they were soon up the creek. Hope that doesn't happen to you!

Hardest hit areas weatherwise are paying highest premiums for the lowest coverage.

Comment

My neighbor has a son that is just starting out. No history in crop insurance. He called me the other day to see what he should do. I can't remember exactly what his numbers are but his premium is almost twice mine, around $25.00/ac. Coverage was much less. I am not going to say the numbers because I don't remember what they were and I know I will get them wrong, but I know his coverage is much less. He doesn't like the program. 2 farmers, 2 miles apart. Totally different coverage. He probably needs an insurance program much more than I do, but he can't afford it.

Comment

Thanks for that post and honesty, it shows that the program is not working like the media is making it out to be for everyone, for some it is. I totally understand why you would think it was good, hell if I was in that boat I would likely too, obviously you had better weather history, can't say I am not envious almost, well okey am totally! But you know, likely premium and coverage is non issue for us, as I cannot see us seeding much acres.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...