• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ritz just announced going voluntary

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritz just announced going voluntary

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/03/wheat-canada-idUSN039377020110503

http://fb.me/10hWH38xc

Comment

http://reut.rs/kPokHj

Comment

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/03/wheat-canada-idUSN0310030520110503

Canadian Wheat Board to survive without monopoly-Ritz
        Tue May 3, 2011 2:44pm EDT

* New Canada government has stronger mandate * Conservative won't hold farmer vote as CWB wants * CWB says couldn't operate on same scale without monopoly
        (Refiles to clarify Ritz, not Oberg commenting in para 12) By Rod Nickel WINNIPEG, Manitoba, May 3 (Reuters) - The Canadian Wheat
        Board, the last major agricultural marketing monopoly in the
        world, can survive the loss of its exclusive hold over the
        buying and selling of Western Canada's wheat and barley and
        compete in an open system, Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz told
        Reuters on Tuesday. Ritz's Conservative Party won a majority government on
        Monday, giving it for the first time the legislative clout to
        strip the board's monopoly as it has long intended. "I was not shy about raising this at every whistle stop
        that I made in Saskatchewan in eight different (electoral
        districts), plus my own," Ritz said. "No one threw eggs at me.
        There's some concern we're going to throw out the baby with the
        bathwater (but) I told everyone not a chance." Canada is the world's biggest shipper of spring wheat and
        durum, mostly through Wheat Board sales. The Wheat Board does not own crop storage facilities or
        port terminals, but instead moves grain through privately owned
        facilities of companies such as Viterra Inc (VT.TO), Cargill
        Inc [CARG.UL] and Richardson International Limited. That system could continue, even if the Wheat Board becomes
        a competitor instead of a supplier, Ritz said. But Wheat Board chairman Allen Oberg, a farmer at
        Forestburg, Alberta, said the former Australian Wheat Board
        lasted without its grain monopoly for less than three years
        before selling its assets to rivals, despite having
        grain-handling facilities. The CWB's lack of assets to move grain would leave it
        "completely reliant" on rival grain companies to carry out its
        sales, Oberg said. "That would put us in a vulnerable position." In the Canadian province of Ontario, a voluntary marketing
        organization replaced a monopoly wheat seller, but it runs on a
        smaller scale than the CWB, which is one of the world's biggest
        grain marketers. "Could the Canadian Wheat Board exist as a brokerage
        organization? Perhaps, but it would be a very different
        Canadian Wheat Board," Oberg said. Opening up choice for farmers could result in more private
        investment in developing better grain varieties and possibly in
        building processing facilities in Western Canada, Ritz said. "Innovation has been stifled because farmers are saying,
        I'm not going to spend a lot of money on this crop because I
        can't pick and choose when I can sell it.'" Ritz, who is hoping Prime Minister Stephen Harper will
        reappoint him as agriculture minister, said in an interview
        that he will not hold a vote by farmers to decide whether the
        Wheat Board keeps its monopoly, but said the government will
        consult farmers. A federal law, the Canadian Wheat Board act, gives the
        board its monopoly, but it is led by a board controlled by
        farmers elected by other farmers. A farmer plebiscite should be held to decide the monopoly's
        fate, Oberg said. "We respect the results of the election last night, we're
        hoping the government respects the Wheat Board's democracy as
        well." (Reporting by Rod Nickel; Editing by David Gregorio and
        Lisa Shumaker)

Comment

Media Release
          May 3, 2011
          Wheat Growers look forward to positive policy reforms
          The Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association congratulates the Conservative Party on winning a majority government and looks forward to working with all Members of Parliament to implement positive agricultural reforms.
          “The Wheat Growers are very pleased we will now be able to move ahead on a number of policy fronts,” says Kevin Bender, President of the Wheat Growers.
          Key policy reforms the Wheat Growers will be seeking include a voluntary Canadian Wheat Board (CWB), implementation of railway service reforms, the modernization of the Canada Grain Act and the pursuit of free trade agreements, including the successful conclusion of a trade pact with the European Union.
          “We encourage the government to move forward as quickly as possible on all these initiatives,” says Bender. “The faster we move ahead, the faster we can usher in greater prosperity in our sector.”
          The Wheat Growers are looking forward in particular to marketing freedom in wheat and barley. As part of its platform, the Conservative Party has undertaken to provide marketing choice for prairie farmers. We urge the government to implement marketing choice by August 1, 2011 on the understanding that all existing farmer contracts with the CWB be honoured.
          “It will be a great day for western Canada when we finally join other Canadian farmers in having the freedom to sell our own grain,” says Bender. “The increased farm profitability and improved business climate will bring long-overdue investments in research and processing to wheat and barley in western Canada.”
          The Wheat Growers congratulate all Members of Parliament on their election and look forward to working with all Parties to effect positive agricultural reforms.

For further comment, please contact:
          Kevin Bender
          President
          Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association

Comment

Yup spoke to Minister Ritz this Am and he indicated he had just spoken to the media!

Comment

Seems too good to be true

Comment

Burbot - you havin a stoke? Agstump, did you just shit your pants? Pretty quite out there...

Comment

Can you imagine whats happened to vader? He is probably wearing depends and taking valium already.

Comment

Along with a helmut to hit the rubber walls.

Comment

By God I was hoping I would live long enough to see some positive voluntary market changes come to the cwb. If those changes have to come Thur Ottawa then so be it!
                      I think we should have a summer celebration... WHERE AND WHEN.....
                      Maybe the Wheat Growers well plan a party....

Comment

That's what I was thinking, burbot must be in
                        hiding.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...