• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Process Around Adjustment Payments

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what the process is?
    Has the Gov't ever not approved a payment?
    What is the criteria? Have they ever said make a bigger/smaller payment than asked for?
    What dept makes the approvel? Is it a single person or a board?
    Why does it take so kong to get approvel and how much does this cost us?
    If changes are realy wanted by Gov't, wouldn't this have been a place to start, by speeding payments up and making them closer to real value?

Just things to make you go Hmmm on a rainy day.

Comment

I wonder what the process is?

THE PROCESS IS THE SAME ONE THAT HAS BEEN USED FOR THE LAST 60 PLUS YEARS. THERE HAVE BEEN NO CHANGES. CWB OPERATIONS/B OF D PUTS IN A RECOMMENDATION. THE RECOMMENDATION IS REVIEWED BY 3 DEPARTMENTS - AAFC, FINANCE AND FORGET THE THIRD. THEIR AGREEMENT/CONCERNS GO THE MINISTER RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CWB. SUSPECT THEY ACT ON THE ADVICE OF THE FEDERAL DEPARTMENTS. TAKES 6 TO 8 WEEKS - ALWAYS HAS.

Has the Gov't ever not approved a payment? What is the criteria? Have they ever said make a bigger/smaller payment than asked for?

NO WAY OF KNOWING OTHER THAN RECENT CWB PRESS RELEASES. FLOW OF INFORMATION BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT AND THE CWB WOULD BE CONFIDENTIAL (COULD MAYBE USE ACCESS TO INFORMATION TO CHECK). I WOULD GUESS THAT THE CWB RECOMMENDATION WOULD BE ACCEPTED 99 % OF THE TIME BUT NO OF VARIFYING.

What dept makes the approvel? Is it a single person or a board? Why does it take so kong to get approvel and how much does this cost us?

ULTIMATELY IT IS THE MINISTER THAT MAKES THE DECISION ALTHOUGH DUE DILIGENCE IS APPLIED BY OTHER DEPARTMENTS (RISK OF OVERPAYMENT ON CWB POOL ACCOUNTS RESTS WITH THE TAXPAYER). COST TO YOU AS A FARMER FOR ADMINISTRATION ONCE THE CWB HAS PROVIDED THE RECOMMENDATION IS ZERO (EXCEPT INTEREST ON PAYMENTS NOT RECIEVED). TAXPAYER (INCLUDING YOU) PAYS THE COSTS.

If changes are realy wanted by Gov't, wouldn't this have been a place to start, by speeding payments up and making them closer to real value?

NO ANSWER. A PROPOSAL WAS IN PLACE A YEAR AGO TO SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS BUT WAS NEVER ACTED ON FOR OTHER REASONS (VOTER LIST). BACK AT YOU. WHY FOR 60 YEARS HAVE FARMERS ACCEPTED THIS PROCESS? THE CWB HAS INDICATED IT CAN HANDLE THE RISK OF ADJUSTING INITIAL PAYMENTS AT THE END OF THE CROP YEAR. A PENNY A BUSHEL PREMIUM FOR THE 90 % EPO IS NOT A HIGH COST. EVEN MORE FUNDAMENTAL, WHY SHOULD THE TAXPAYER COVER THE RISK OF OVERPAYMENT ON CWB POOLS - PARTICULARY IN A HIGH PRICED/PAYMENT ONE LIKE 2010/11? THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION IS IT REQUIRES A CHANGE TO THE CWB BUT THAT OPENS UP A BIGGER CAN OF WORMS.

Just things to make you go Hmmm on a rainy day.

Comment

last sentence should be "REQUIRES A CHANGE TO THE CWB ACT".

Comment

Bill C-27 and proposed changes to speed up payments give hints as to the current process. The process is written into the CWB act.

[URL="http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?Language=E&ls=c27&source=library_prb& Parl=40&Ses=3#fn15"]Bill C-27[/URL]

From the press release about the bill (not passed by the way).

The legislation eliminates a step in the process to pay producers for their grain. The current system requires analysis from the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Finance, as well as Treasury Board approval before payments are delivered. Under the new legislation, Treasury Board approval will no longer be required. This could speed up the payment process by as much as three weeks.

Pretty boring stuff at seeding time but the mechanics involved.

Comment

Starting Aug of 2012 you guys are gonna get fleeced like good little sheep. AND you are going to like it.

Baaahhhhh

Comment

At least you'll get to pick which sheep you like. Don't some shepards do to sheep what the CWB has done to us for ages?

Comment

Willagro, you can just carry on with your pride
                and joy. What's the problem?

Comment

<i>" i thought getting rid of the crow , would assure
                  all kinds of processing here."</i>

As long as we have the CWB it's like replacing the dead battery in your car, but neglecting to put gas in the tank. Without both, you're going nowhere.

<i>"Starting Aug of 2012 you guys are gonna get fleeced like good little sheep"</i>

Just like we get fleeced with open market canola. Big bad multinationals driving us away from what could have been a profitable crop if the CWB was marketing it....yeah, right.

If the CWB is really the great marketer they claim to be, they'll have no trouble retaining farmer customers.

Comment

Wilagro, you'll have your chance to show us how
                    well you can do with the board.

They'll start whining about how they can't
                    compete, if their followers are loyal, they still will
                    make the market because they'll have their great
                    market share.

If you are right?.you'll probably be willing to
                    continue to give it to them for whatever they'll
                    give you years after the rest of us are paid-

Comment

• Reply to this Thread