• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dumb question sorry about your farming

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb question sorry about your farming

first this is on wrong forum but will get a response.
    Dessication i know what it is, and it done here in peas and other legumes only.
    It seems you guys do all your cereals?
    To speed up harvest? To kill green weeds to help with harvest? No residue problems in grains?
    What products reglone?
    Is it done every year?

just interested thats all.

all the best with harvest guys may the rain and frost gods treat you right, and is your frost threat almost past or still another week of two?

We do it every year and have for over 12 years. Full liter on crop just week to 10 days before harvest. It makes the crop uniform. No green areas etc. Kills weeks so next year their gone. Thistles Quack grass dandelions etc.
    Durum our grades have increased because of uniformity.
    In Canada starting in august weeds take in from the leaves to feed the roots so they survive the winter. So basically roundup on leaves goes down to the root and dies. In spring the roots pulling nutrients to make a plant august is opposite.

Comment

Guys who swath cereals seldom pre-harvest
      spray. The straight cutter guys spray for
      uniform drydown. Guys generally do it
      before they intend peas, to ensure a
      perennial weed free pea crop...

Comment

Most farmers in my area still swath and also every year will desicate with round up. Except for the crop that is to be used for planting seed. Desicating pays off big time for weed control if planting every year. Then typically still apply a smaller dose later like end sept early oct. on the stubbles before winter.

Comment

And that is why local and organic foods are coming into focus, some consumers are not believing the science. Even our potatoes are desiccated before harvest. If the consumer knew how much of their food was "chemicalled" for harvest, there would be even more of a shift.
          But hey, gotta go with technology....right?

Comment

We spray all our cereals in the fall with 1 liter per acre of round up. Most people call it dessicating, but in truth it is not. Using something like Reglone is dessicating. As SF3 said, hard to kill weeds such as thistle, dandilion, hawks beard etc. start uptaking nutrients usually by the middle of Aug. into the root system. This is when round up works its best. Next spring the fields are clean for spring planting, especially for crops such as peas, lentils, InVigor canola, etc. A true desicant such as Reglone just burns down the top. Not sure if it is registered, but some farmers are trying to mix the 2 (Reglone and Round up) for certain applications.

Comment

thanks were not allowed to dessicate here with glypho only reglone type products

Comment

"Except for the crop that is used for planting seed."

Hmm.

Affects germination, huh.

But it doesn't affect young farmers' testicles?

Hmm

Is there such a project as a societal study on the elimination of the stupid?

Pars

Comment

Parsely, it only effects the ones that can't spell testicles but still have them.

Comment

I've noted many who might mispell testaclles, but indeed have them.

Of course, you're probably confident enough to bathe in roundup, wd.

However, the real test lies in the ability of alive testicles to produce the next generation of spellers.

Rather like dogs sniffing out cancer, it might be a profitable field to develop live reproductive-diagnosis; for example, to train cats to listen closely for robust sperm. Rather ticklish training sessions, I might add.

You've made me more aware of the importance of, er, science.

Comment

I've noted many who might mispell testaclles, but indeed have them.

Of course, you're probably confident enough to bathe in roundup, wd.

However, the real test lies in the ability of alive testicles to produce the next generation of spellers.

Rather like dogs sniffing out cancer, it might be a profitable field to develop live reproductive-diagnosis; for example, to train cats to listen closely for robust sperm. Rather ticklish training sessions, I might add.
                      You've made me more aware of the importance of, er, sound science.

Comment

What's wrong with science Pars? I'd take
                        science, the real objective kind with honest
                        evaluation of measurable data any day.

There are too many people in this world making
                        money from fears people have, rational or
                        otherwise, with no basis in fact.
                        Correlation does not prove causation,
                        testimonials aren't scientific proof and exploiters
                        of fear use plenty of both, with little or no
                        objective experimental evidence.

Comment

FR, just to show goodwill, I'll indeed rent you my cat and you'll only pay for the measurable time spent on the tractor... with him listening intently.

He's a quick learner. You have ready cash. I'm a reasonable woman.

The perfect partnership. Pars

Comment

Science said "lets feed ground ruminate to ruminants, cheap food cost" and there are many more scenarios........the problem is science is not rational, it is being paid for by someone with an agenda!

Comment

I thought anwering this question may not be good. Mallee do you guys grow genetically modified canola yet? How do you control your weeds in Australia if you don't spray in crop, can you control weeds properly after crop? Maybe with your hot summer everything just dies anyway.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...