• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dumb question sorry about your farming

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received this weblink email the other day from a conventional farmer. I would like to think reuters has some factual reporting and hopefully less sensational articles. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/31/glyphosate-pollution-idUSN1E77U15Q20110831?feedType=RSS&feedName=compan yNews&rpc=43.
    I am an organic farmer because my farm was too small and inefficent to be profitable conventionally. I am not against conventional farmers doing what they have to to make a living, I did the same thing for 13 years. Now that I am on the outside looking in, I do see the dependancy on glyphosate. Its regarded as a necessity along with a good high clearance sprayer. I am not a chemist, but 360grams per acre of glyphosate, twice per year (burn off and pre harvest) for a decade would eventually show up somewhere! But..I do know the neighbors grow very big, clean crops and thats their goal. So, that part is working,and the fert/chem industry is right behind them with a free jacket, patting them on the back and taking them out for lunch!! The best summary about all this was on a different post about "feeding the world".
    Chuckchuck said "Monsanto and company are not interested in small scale poor farmers because they can't make money from them."
    wd9 said, " Crop life is not saying the whole world, just the world that can afford to grow biotech crops. They don't really care what happens with the production after its grown just as long as their technology is bought, and bought every year.
    Its the same reason every 6 year old needs an iphone. Good marketing."
    I fully and completely agree. with both these observations.

Comment

I re-read my post, it am not trying to ruffle feathers here, its just an observation.

Comment

Hopper,

So different down under.

I understand they grow primarily winter crops (Planted in fall, [April-June])... it is spring right now... so they harvest when it gets really hot (Nov-Jan-mid summer) which normally kills everything off... so natural desication occurs because of the climate.

Is this right Mallee?

Parsley... Glyphos is registered in the EU on seed crops too. If timing is proper glyphosate does not effect germs... only if done too early.

You run a much much higher risk of being hurt by the adjuvants in your shampoo... than Roundup.

The mouse and rabbit studies you quote are listed in this paper... have a read!

http://www.msal.gov.ar/agroquimicos/pdf/Williams-et-al-2000.pdf

Comment

TOM I gave that paper a read, and, here is part of the summary, as you described.
          Summary
          Results from several investigations establish that
          the acute toxicity and irritation potential of Roundup
          herbicide in humans is low. Specifically, results from
          controlled studies with Roundup showed that skin irritation
          was similar to that of a baby shampoo and
          lower than that observed with a dishwashing detergent
          and an all-purpose cleaner; no dermal sensitization,
          photoirritation, or photosensitization reactions were
          148 WILLIAMS, KROES, AND MUNRO
          observed. Furthermore, the incidence of occupationalrelated
          cases involving Roundup is low given the widespread
          use of the product. Data from these cases indicated
          some potential for eye and skin irritation with
          the concentrated product, but exposure to dilute spray
          solutions rarely resulted in any significant adverse
          effect. Most importantly, no lasting dermal or ocular
          effects were noted, and significant systemic effects attributable
          to contact with Roundup did not occur. Studies
          of Roundup ingestion showed that death and other
          serious effects occurred only when large amounts were
          intentionally ingested for the purpose of committing
          suicide. These data confirmed that the acute oral toxicity
          in humans is low and consistent with that predicted
          by the results of laboratory studies in animals.

I find this reassuring.

Comment

I agree with Pars on this one.

For every action there is a reaction,a price will have to
            be paid.

But its the chemicals that kill the bugs that freak me
            out.

Comment

Roundup is a fantastic chemical, i reckon it won us the cold war.
              when i went to russia in 1993 it was wall to wall couch grass, not much wheat.
              But we are overusing it. resistance will develop, the more we use it, the faster it will develop.
              one application at full rate ervery 3rd yr should be the max, and it will be useful for much longer.
              use reglone in between.
              Antibiotics are regulated now, but the damage hs been done already by overuse and folks not finishing the course.

Comment

why do my posts always end up in a bitch fight?????lol

Comment

Sorry about that Mallee but you gotta laugh when the bugs are freaking Cotton out. Hedgehog we do have other options but glyphosate is the cheaper product. If say for instance we did have some resistance show up then we could use that chemical we call Liberty, which we don't yet but if that one would develop resistance then we could use a concoction that is more expensive yet. If all else fails we can use tillage. Now if them super weeds start eating our tires then we are in deep shit.

Comment

Because mallee, I can be a bitch, and I'm up for a good fight on the important issues.

Comment

Lol,less funny to me,i spent a stint,treating a golf ball
                      size tumour in the absolute last place you want to
                      have one.

Health and wellness and cancer are something i know
                      better than econ 101.

Comment

All our seed is sprayed with Roundup at 1 liter doesnt effect germ at all. Except in Pulses. Dont know why. Side by side comparison for over 20 years it works.

Comment

Well, you're perfectly safe then, because a farmers' reproductive system isn't nearly as complicated as a red lentil.

Comment

Oh for goodness sakes.

As long as the application of glyphosate doesn't exceed the natural breakdown it will never reach any kind of toxic level in the soil. No need to run for the hills yet chicken little. Sheesh.

Comment

Malee, this post has turn out quite insightful for me. The article TOM recommended is a research document composed by 3 individuals from *Department of Pathology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595; †RITOX, Universiteit Utrecht,
                              P.O. Box 80176, NL-3508 TD Utrecht Yalelaan 2, The Netherlands; and ‡Cantox Health Sciences International,
                              2233 Argentia Road, Suite 308, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2X7, Canada

Here is another part of the summary. "Under the intended
                              conditions of herbicide use, Roundup risks to
                              subpopulations other than those considered here would
                              be significantly lower. It is concluded that, under
                              present and expected conditions of new use, there is no
                              potential for Roundup herbicide to pose a health risk to
                              humans.

I am an organic farmer, and I still find this more assuring than any speculations I had before this post. Nedless to say I am not going spraying any time soon, I cant afford it, all my money is tied up in old rodweeders and...ummm...cash.(joke).

Comment

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/intensive-farming-is-found-to-be-better-than-organic-methods-for-protecting-the-environment/story-e6frg8y6-1226127941483

-few more of these and Parsleys head will explode

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...