• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Markets

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Markets

Been picking highbush cranberries all week in a lovely secluded grove on our farm, drooping red with huge berries. Made lots of kalyna. I swear if it became a commercial item, people would fistfight in stores if the shelves got low.

Any ideas for development of farm products? From garlic, from barley, from wild oats, etc?

A pasta plant for saskatchewan.

Looked into a flour mill from agrex a few years ago and probably cost less than new combine and the returns would be greater in the coming months.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda etc.

Comment

About 2 years ago, Seabuckthorn was going to be a healthy natural supplement, the trees (bushes?) could be grown in Sask.

Comment

Seabuckthorn grows great in MB too. We have some in some shelterbelt rows. They don't seem to yield much and good luck picking them. They're thornier than Allan Oberg.

I brainstorm on this every day and there are no easy answers. The biggest thing is the "Dragon's Den" factor. That is that most farm product enterprises are not big enough to be a real business. They are just hobbies.

Comment

What do you make with kalyna pars?

Comment

Use it in hot curries, as the base for some jams, for pancake topping, for slices and desserts, for sauces. It adds tartness as well as Vit C.

Ukranians got it right: Sweet Kalyna sauce on homemade perogies with a dollop of sour cream. Grunt.

Comment

We spent nearly a month in NYC and I looked at food, Brave. Specialty food.

Top quality, unique, and traceable.

Prairie farmers have very unique natural raw material to work with.
              If a network of specialty family farm manufacturers shipped and marketed to similar markets, the cost would lower, and there could be good quality control.
              There is tremendous demand.

Small enough to keep the quality high enough to hammer specialty growers in France,and yet identifiable as Canadian.

But then I'm a foodie. LOL

Comment

Quinoa(sp) is amazing. Tastes great, apparently
                one of the healthiest grains. And it can be
                grown in saskatchewan. I think there might be a
                processor at foam lake. Apparently related to
                red root pig weed, and I know that grows well
                here.

Comment

Had some quinoa (keenwa) for supper. Tastes good and very nutrious (high protein). From South America - a staple in their diet.

Comment

Smell like stinky feet, but cant beat the flavour.
                    Cream, real creme, what a treat, especially with
                    homemade bread.

Comment

Birds get mine.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...