• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wheat protien??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheat protien??

How does protien change with moisture. At 18 mt the protien was 14.5 5 days ago. then wheat is dry and protien goes to 12.5-13.5???

Protein is a fixed amount in the kernel, so the dryer the wheat the higher the protein. Trouble is this year with the drought in the US, there is a surplus of protein and it is not worth much.

Comment

Furrow, my experience is the protien in tougher grain effects of drying are different if the grain has green or is just tough. With a greener sample the protien seems to drop a bit. No science to that just my experience monitoring Malt Barley especially.

Comment

No green anything and side by side but 5 days later and 4 points drier.

Comment

disagree poorboy world wide there is a huge shortage high protien quality wheats and i say at a guess most of australias crops which are expected to yield above average to excellent will be mid range or lower for protien

Comment

Most protien testers are a bit suspect, ie
            not accurate. Try having test done on
            another machine, bet its different, again!

Comment

It could be that the protein tester is effected by the tough grain. There definately is a protein rebound after harvest as well. Not usually a full percent plus but fresh off the field can read a bit higher. If in doubt take or send to CGC.

Comment

Your right burbot, I have seen the same sample swing 1% between 3 places. Anouther one was yesterday, protien was 14.2 at P&H and Pioneer - same sample to Cargil was 13.3???? And yes samples are going to grain commision asap.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...