• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network Attached Servers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Attached Servers

The computer community is probably the least used ever so thought i would post here.

Anyone use a network storage disk sever (standalone) for backing up farm accounting and field gps data maps, and related software to? Of course pictures, videos, and music can also be stored there too to be watched on the playstation, TV, any computer or the iphone in Mac or PC or even Linux. Iphone and ipad apps and data, torrent downloads and streaming media also.

I was looking at the Synology DS211J, about 200 bucks and needs drives for about 300 more for full data duplication and ensured backups. Data can be accessed via web and you can use as a wireless print server too. DLNA certified for home media integration also.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Yes do this, also get a Blu-ray burner and copy the
    most important stuff and store it outside your house
    or office, in your shop?

If it's sensitive data, put a password on it.

Comment

I just bought an extra hard drive for the computer
      and mirror it periodically. This protects from a
      lengthy reatore after a hard drive failure at least.
      Any critical data that would be irreplaceable in the
      event of a catastrophe (ie. house fire), I backed
      up to an offsite internet server.

I'm not a techie though, and that might not be
      what you're trying to accomplish, and it doesn't do
      anything as far as a print server or home media,
      but it gives moderate protection from losing data
      and programs.

It would be handy to integrate everything though.
      Looking forward to hearing what ideas others
      have.

Comment

We store our company files Google Docs which allows
        us to easily access them from any internet
        connection. The filing system of digital folders allows
        for easy sorting and the search engine is incredible.
        It will actually locate words in documents. It is free
        also. We have a staff of 11 with multiple offices and
        never worry about server problems or removing the
        backup hard drive from the office. I highly
        recommend it.

Comment

I use an external hard drive. I back up once a month and store the drive in an old fridge in the shop (dust free). I also do weekly back up to an USB stick which I carry. On an annual basis I back everything up to an SD card or USB stick and put it in the safety deposit box. I'm still not comfortable with the online storage systems.

Comment

I find the easiest and speediest is just to buy a flashdrive if you want to back up your farm books, and other documents, pics, etc. No internal movement like a external hard drive, which makes it faster. Easy to store in safety box at bank. To back up entire computer then use a external hard drive.

Comment

I have been using these techniques too. Get out the drive, copy, disconnect, put in safe place. Burn to DVD once in a while and put that somewhere else.

Doing over the internet for storage of all my stuff ie downloaded movies and music, is not quite workable since total bandwidth for the month is limited in the country in my area and speed is an issue for video media for streaming HD movies.

Comment

The reason I like using flashdrives, is that burning it on to a dvd, or cd, then it is only readable. If something happens to your current year on computer, and you have it backed up to a dvd or cd then it is not for written permission.

Comment

The cloud like Google Docs is nice as I am always able
                  to access my data. All documents are accessible from
                  my phone or internet connection. I have actually
                  located documents while in my vehicle and emailed
                  as required. I have been concerned about the long
                  term reliability of flash drives, etc. The cloud is the
                  future.

Comment

One thing that concerns me about cloud backup is reliability. Dropbox is also a great cloud backup which we use for some stuff. With these services you are relying on internet services, as well as continuation of programmer, which can sometimes terminate. I should also mention that we always backup to two flashdrives. With the speed of a flashdrive, backing up a 4 or 5 mb accounting program takes like two secounds.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...